Latest Edge Dev installed but only a handful of Store extensions on offer

Copper Contributor

I may be wrong but if I hit the hamburger menu and select Extensions, I am only directed to the MS Store which has almost none of any use. I understand Chrome extensions work but there is no option for this in Edge. Why not?

Extensions are the lifeblood of browsers as the main way to differentiate and gain users. Yet firefox and Chrome both seem to be discouraging them in the name of unjustified security worries. Unjustfied in the sense of evidence-based real-life issues which are virtually non-existent. Stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater please.

8 Replies
So TL;TR: you want the Chrome extension store link in edge://extensions ?

about those non-existent security issues, i gotta say they are pretty much existent and real. you have no idea how many ill minded extension devs are lurking around preying on not so nerdy nerd end-users. at least when Microsoft puts a link to their own extension store in here they are guaranteeing the safety of those extensions.
so if you install an extension from chrome store and it screws up Edge browser of yours then you can't complain to Microsoft.
the number of extensions are too little and they have to expand their catalog, just like Opera did with their own extension store when they decided to use chromium, but that's gonna take time and once Edge goes into stable full release more extension devs will want to put a copy of their extensions on the Microsoft store as well.

@Brian Wall 

You can click Learn more after "Allow extensions from other stores", then Chrome Web Store.

@Bruce Roberts I hear what you say but when I was in software support, I soon learnt that customer reports that they installed X and it broke Y usually turned out to be nothing of the sort. When I speak of overkill on security fears, I always challenge the facts. How many actually suffered more than just inconvenience for example? As a percentage of installations, how many went wrong? I find myself that the fear is worse than the facts and that Microsoft et al are just arse covering and making the consumer suffer for it. That's my personal view anyway. 

Microsoft are making a big mistake if they don't pull their finger out and make essential extensions available. In my case I want a translator, one that will translate highlighted text in-situ or a paragraph or an entire page. There are three available for Edge Dev and none of the install pages work! It is vers 78.0.244.0

Just to clarify one thing. why do you even think Microsoft is the obstacle, why don't you think maybe the developers should come one by one and request to put their extension on Windows store?
it's funny, i've never came across anyone else before who would say that Windows has overkill security. everyone on the Internet are literally nagging about how insecure Windows is and how much one needs 3rd party AVs, even though the truth is Windows Defender at its current state is better than 99% of all AVs.

@HotCakeX  I was trained in Risk Assessment and my point is that many security measures are not based upon risk assessments but upon anecdotal evidence from inexperienced users who clamour for "more security". It is political and arse covering to pander to such ignorant demands. Nothing to do with the real life risks of serious harm. I repeat, it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater syndrome.:stareyes:

If i were you i would go sue the manager of that risk assessment program for bad teaching :face_with_tears_of_joy:
you're free to think that way, after all not everyone is supposed to be safe on the Internet, hackers need to feed their families too :D

@HotCakeX The post is about the risk of browser extensions specifically you know, and my employers, a huge international bank who commissioned the risk assessment won't be too chuffed at your comments. Bye.

Nope. the post is about you asking for a link to Google chrome extension store in the extensions area of the new Microsoft Edge.
another user already answered it:
"You can click Learn more after "Allow extensions from other stores", then Chrome Web Store."
and i explained, logically, about your other concerns. so it's unrelated whether you work in a bank and i work in NASA. I hope it answered your question :)