Latest Canary Version 77.0.237.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Silver Contributor

With todays Canary update we have new sync options....

New Can Sync.jpg

Passwords have made it to sync...

Dennis5mile

13 Replies
Not on my system it hasn't been.....

Dennis5mile
you said "we" as if the options were just made available in Canary. it was first introduced weeks ago, Edge team put country restrictions on the sync features, i've seen a lot of users testing it by VPN, those sync features get disabled on certain countries. nobody from Microsoft responses.

@HotCakeX  "it was first introduced weeks ago, Edge team put country restrictions on the sync features, i've seen a lot of users testing it by VPN, those sync features get disabled on certain countries."

That's interesting.  The sync changes haven't been introduced into the Dev channel (currently Version 77.0.230.2, released July 31).  Usually the Dev channel is about a week behind the Canary channels.

EdgeSYNC-8-2-2019.jpg

I'm assuming that the United States is not on the "country restrictions" list, so the unusual lag is probably due to something else.  Are the new sync features working reliably at this point in the Canary channels in which they've been released or have there been issues?

Yeah I found that statement interesting too considering I'm in the USA. Makes me wonder how many had it these past few weeks and how many just got it today.....

Dennis5mile

@tomscharbach 

Sync features go on and off randomly. they are very unstable and have been like that for the past months. 

Annotation 2019-08-03 012917.png

@HotCakeX  "Sync features go on and off randomly. they are very unstable and have been like that for the past months."

Syncing in Edge Chromium is one area where I wish Microsoft would get its act together. I suspect that I'm typical of multi-device users in that respect, and things seem to be getting worse rather than better.

I don't know if others have had this experience, but since the "Edge Deletes Edge" boondoggle (in which the Edge Team effectively deactivated EdgeHTML by removing it from the Start apps list and apps search results in both Insider and (then later) production builds of Windows 10, seemed to be caught by surprise, and subsequently tried to reverse the situation), EdgeHTML no longer syncs across the three computers I'm using to test Edge Chromium.  I wonder if that's the case for others who got caught up in the boondoggle.

I haven't made a fuss about it because I haven't used EdgeHTML as a primary platform in months, but in my case, the fact that EdgeHTML no longer syncs renders EdgeHTML completely useless as a backup browser and increases my impatience with diddling around with Edge Chromium syncing.

No the situation about the sync features in the new Edge and how they become unavailable is related to restrictions put by Microsoft. it's not new. Microsoft has set country restrictions on many of its services such as Windows insider program.

@HotCakeX  "Sync features go on and off randomly. they are very unstable and have been like that for the past months."

"No the situation about the sync features in the new Edge and how they become unavailable is related to restrictions put by Microsoft. it's not new. Microsoft has set country restrictions on many of its services such as Windows insider program."

Two thoughts: 

(1)  Either sync in Edge Chromium is (a) "very unstable" and "go on and off randomly", which implies buggy/experimental implementation, or (b) a result of "country restrictions", which implies that sync features go on and off according to Microsoft planning.  

(2)  If I am correct (and I might not be) in my suspicions that changes made during the "Edge Deletes Edge" boondoggle is related to the fact that EdgeHTML no longer syncs for Edge Chromium users who experienced "Edge Deletes Edge", it would seem to me that this development is more likely a case of unintended consequences than it is a case of careful planning.

You really wanna relate it to that EdgeHTML replacement but it's totally unrelated. it's been happening way before that but you're free to think whatever you want.

Nope, when I say it goes on and off i mean it goes on in a certain country and goes off in another country. U.S of course is not restricted. but the world has more countries in it.

@HotCakeX  "You really wanna relate it to that EdgeHTML replacement but it's totally unrelated. it's been happening way before that but you're free to think whatever you want."

I defer to your knowledge, although I would appreciate it if you would take the time to explain why you know that it is totally unrelated, and explain the cause of this week's sync breakdown. 

I know that EgdeHTML sync stopped working early on after Edge Chromium was first introduced**, because I worked with Edge Insider support to isolate, document and replicate the issue.  It took a few weeks, but the problem got fixed and EdgeHTML sync seems to have been working since then.  I rely on syncing, so I would likely be aware of sync failure if it were either frequent or persistent.   It has not been, to my knowledge.  I sync a lot, and it seems to have been working fine since it was fixed in May.

I do know that EdgeHTML sync worked fine the week before the "Edge Deletes Edge" boondoggle because I made a lot of changes on my primary computer and the changes synced to my other EdgeHTML computers without issue, and I know that immediately after "Edge Deletes Edge" was implemented and then reversed, sync no longer worked.

It may be that there is no correlation between the two (as I noted, I could well be wrong about my suspicions), and I look forward to learning the cause as you understand it. 

==================

**  See, for example, "A heads up about Edge Classic Sync" (2019-04-16) and "Dev 75.0.139.1 Broke Sync" (2019-04-26).

The title is about Edge canary, not EdgeHTML. you're the only one here talking about another program. they are 2 different programs, they have 2 different servers and so on. so unless you realize the difference i think this conversation is pointless.

Here is a fairly new flag found in edge://flags.... for spell checking...

Spell check 2.jpg

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile