Kiwi goes Open Source..... Hope for extension support in android browsers.

Steel Contributor

Most of us are already familiar with kiwi browser on Android (chromium based), It have many features like support for extensions from chrome webstore and support for external download managers like idm. Now its developer ( A senior and well reputable developer on XDA : arnaud42 ) have made all the project completely open source on github, which opens a way for other browsers to add those functionality in other browsers.

Complete thread on XDA : click here

@Deleted As you already know there are many users which crave for extension support on android platform. Also since kiwi is open source, other browsers would add the functionality (arnaud42 confirmed that he talked with some developers of other browsers on the same) and I feel edge shouldn't be left behind. So, Can you please check the related thread and share what you think about this? 

4 Replies
This sound good, now that Microsoft is using open source software, they can use Kiwi's software and experience in Edge!
I'm using kiwi as my default android browser from a very long time, & I can confirm it's very fast and very much stable... tbh much better than the edge and even chrome too. What I miss there is only sync problem, otherwise for me that's near perfect browser, but it's development was at halt for last two-three months. And since Microsoft is also improving the edge android, I would love to see the competition between edge & kiwi. As I believe constructive competition is a good thing for development. Let's see what @Deleted say about this...

@hussain5416 Thanks for reaching out. We're strong supporters of building an open-source community, so it's exciting to see that growing.

I've looped both our Extensions team and our Android team in on this thread and will let you know if they have any thoughts.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thanks for looping the Extension & Android team. I hope they have some good news to share....