SOLVED

January 15th 2020 is the date for Stable release of Edge insider

MVP

newedgelogo

So I assume History and Extension syncing are not going to be included because according to this post they are just going to come into Canary at that time and given how time consuming implementing and solidifying Sync features are, it's gonna take at least a couple of months after that.

I personally think Microsoft Edge could use some more time being in the beta phase, at least until it gets all of the features that the current classic Edge has, to be a proper replacement for it.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-new

19 Replies

@HotCakeX (and others)... As we 'wave' goodbye to the 'big blue e' and welcome the new bright future offered by Chromium Edge, I am wondering if the update process from Classic Edge will successfully migrate favourites/bookmarks and other data, or whether users will be confused by having to import things themselves?

@Graham-STMC   "I am wondering if the update process from Classic Edge will successfully migrate favourites/bookmarks and other data, or whether users will be confused by having to import things themselves?"

The short answer seems to be that Edge (Classic) Favorites import to Edge Chromium without issue, but with a caveat.

I temporarily installed the current leaked "Stable" version (79.0.309.7, which is a bit behind the current Beta version (79.0.309.11)) yesterday on a computer that I planned to rebuild from the ground up today, and this is what happened:

(1)  The Stable version installed.

(2)  Favorites from Edge (Classic)** imported into the Stable version.

(3)  Edge (Classic) disappeared from the Start menu, Apps menu, Taskbar and Apps list, and the Stable version took its place on all those locations.

(4)  About five minutes into using the Stable version, my Favorites from Edge Chromium synced into the Stable version, so that I had duplicate Favorites entries for the Favorites imported from Edge (Classic)**.

(5)  I cleaned up the duplicates, and did some testing.  Bookmarks added to Stable replicated across all of my Edge Chromium installs (Dev, Beta), and vice a versus.

After about an hour, I uninstalled the Stable version***, and Edge (Classic) reappeared on the Start menu, Apps menu, Taskbar and Apps list, with the original Edge (Classic) Favorites just as before.

I hope this is clear enough.  I rebuilt the computer today to accommodate a Linux build I am testing, so I can't check anything, but I'll try to dig into my aging memory cells if you have any other questions.

=============

** Because I have been using Edge Chromium Beta as my primary browser for some time, I had trimmed out my Edge (Classic) Favorites to about two dozen -- the Favorites Bar and a dozen or so news sites.   The full list of Favorites (about 100) existed in Edge Chromium.

*** The uninstall process wasn't entirely seamless.  It took three reboots to complete it.

For now they are only releasing stable as a standalone browser but once it is integrated into Windows 10 OS it will be more seamless, by that time all the missing sync features will come back and data migration will be much easier
How will stable chromium edge be installed? Windows update or downloaded from another website?
Can't be 100% sure because they are full of surprises
but I think at first it will be an optional download from the official websites: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/
or this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4501095/download-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium

they also probably targeted a Windows 10 build where they are going to replace the new Edge with Edge classic for good

@tomscharbach  I assume when Edge Chromium is released and installed, the previous Edge Classic version would be automatically removed and the Beta stripe on Edge Chromium icon would be removed also. Fair assumption???

@DWR99 " I assume when Edge Chromium is released and installed, the previous Edge Classic version would be automatically removed and the Beta stripe on Edge Chromium icon would be removed also. Fair assumption???" 

I think so.  Yesterday, the Stable icon after installation was the same as the Edge (Classic) icon (the "e" with no stripes), but I understand that the released version of the icon will be the new Edge Chromium icon discussed in other threads.  So that's what I would expect.

I'm not sure how this will work with those of us currently testing Canary, Dev or Beta versions.  I think that the Insider program will continue after release (updates are expected every six weeks or so), so my guess is that the released version will install alongside the Canary, Dev and Beta versions for those of us in the Edge Insider program.   That's how it works with Chromium, and (as far as I know) with Google Chrome, so that's what I would expect.

Yeah but there will always be a Beta, only the current one's version will pass to the stable channel and Beta will get a newer version.
about the replacement, it's better to read this article about the details:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-windows-updates

@HotCakeX  No!  Do you want a screenie? Well... 1.0 is not released yet! 0.80.0.361.33 (Official build) beta (64-bit) is the latest as of today! And before you say it, THIS is in no way stable.

@Samtheprogrammer 

Spoiler

@Samtheprogrammer wrote:

@HotCakeX  No!  Do you want a screenie? Well... 1.0 is not released yet! 0.80.0.361.33 (Official build) beta (64-bit) is the latest as of today! And before you say it, THIS is in no way stable.

I'm not sure what you're talking about? :thinking_face:

Why you put a zero at the beginning of the version number?

So, it's already 17 and we don't know exactly how is the 'stable build' going to be deployed? Didn't they started to deploy it on 15th?

Yeah, well i searched a bit and found the web for edge. I was expecting a download from Windows update, but i suppose it will be available with the new builds
According to those 2 blogs above, the deployment through Windows update will start soon and for anyone who wishes to install Stable right now, they can do it from here
www.microsoft.com/Edge

it's really the same, you can either wait for it to be available from Windows update or just install it directly from the Microsoft website :)

You can also download it using the offline installer from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

P.S The only difference between Enterprise and Retail version of Edge is that Enterprise has an offline installer
Yep, thats what i wanted to know, but i wanted to know if it would be installed like a new browser or replace Edge.
Oh the stable version replaces the old Edge but Beta/Dev/Canary channels don't do it.

also there is a way to have both old Edge and the new Stable Edge at the same time, without replacement.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/deployedge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge#how-to-enable-a...
Oh! I meant 80. Whatever not 0.80. Whatever. I'm sorry!
1 best response