It's not Edge if it doesn't have these features!

Deleted
Not applicable

Please don't ship the new Edge out of beta without these features:

from most important to less in my opinion

1. Set Tabs Aside

2. Ask Cortana

3. Better Integration With native Windows 10 features (for example: native share dialoge, Acrylic material etc...)

4. The Shelf UI for bookmarks, history & downloads etc...

5. Add Notes (Inking)

75 Replies

@rjansen85 Edge on iOS is not the same Edge as on Windows. Edge on iOS is a skinned version of webkit/safari.  Edge on Android is similarly already built around Blink (Chromium).  Edge on Windows 10 was/is the outlier.  This is one of the reasons why performance on mobile (Android/iOS) has already been at parity with the other major browsers for a while.

I see the decision here to be in perfect harmony with Microsoft's plan to abandon a unique mobile ecosystem and focus more on services.

@benpal -- Yes, share! I had forgotten about that. I send stuff that way to my wife who has her own office.

@Deleted 

Gee, you guys. Did you even bother to read the initial press release -- this is still very early days for the new Edge, with lots of features known to be currently missing. Chill out, they will come.

I think Microsoft should bring back the old file download dialogue box. (Run, Save/Save as, Cancel)
Hopefully Set Tabs Aside feature if it comes will also add syncing support. Currently I can only have my Set Tabs Aside collections on single machine, but I don't have same saved tabs across devices.

It would be even more useful to have sync support. Maybe even include Timeline support for it.
Also needs:
- Timeline integration
- Easy to Pin website to Start or Taskbar (especially for Web Apps, hopefully with Live Tile support for Pinned Websites/Web apps)
- Continue to "devices" (currently not with Edge UWP but is available only on Edge mobile apps in Android and iOS)
I would love to see inking first honestly. I can get extensions that do most the rest, setting tabs aside is easily done with an extension, but inking the way old edge did is probably my favorite feature of it. And the old pdf features. Edge is the best pdf reader on windows

@Chris Cochrun , I can't deny the use of inking on Edge, specially over PDF files. I used inking to put notes on PDF manuals and textbooks when using the old PDF Reader from Windows 8/8.1, and would use Edge's inking space to do the same if necessary. I still use it to highlight stuff on webpages or help giving instructions to other people through chat. There's nothing like doodling arrows and circles/boxes to get the idea through.

But by experience Edge can't really work very well with all types of PDF files. It struggles a lot rendering very complex PDFs with intricate vector graphics and details, which are common in architectural reports, civil engineering projects and territorial planning. Those absurdely complex files are much better delt by Adobe's Acrobat DC, which render and scroll those pages much faster and efficiently than Edge, which almost crashes under the load.

1 2 and 3 are no killer features. Low prio for this stuff.
I would say Windows integration is must be implemented on first release as this what makes Edge experience more native and offers some advantage compared to other web browsers. Things like Share, Timeline, Compact Overlay (Picture-in-Picture), and Inking features.

Aesthetics like Fluent Design may not be the most functionally necessity to have a usable web browser, but it helps the overall user experience and makes the new Microsoft Edge truly native to Windows 10 than leaving it liking a third-party web browser. Personally I don't expect an Acrylic Tab Strip since there maybe a technical limitation implementing it since this new Edge Chromium uses older Uxtheme titlebar/non-UWP titlebar. Maybe Acrylic material can be done, Idk. Though Reveal Highlight effects on menus and buttons are more possible, especially when we look at Google Chrome featuring Material Design's pulse effect when you click toolbar buttons. If its possible to tweak that effect to look like Reveal Highlight, then that would be awesome!

@Deleted 

I prefer the edge fluent design.

Also, cortana feature should be optional. Here's why, cortana does not support some languages. (It will be a waste of space for me since i can't use cortana in my native language)

@19lmyers I hate this so called feature 'preview tabs' the most.

@Deleted For such an early preview, you can't expect more things than the fundementials... As i said multiple times that new features and existing features from the old Edge will come soon, in the incoming days, weeks or months.

@Deleted 

I use that a lot actually....  I teach English online in live classrooms... Whenever I come up with a word that I need defined I just hit that "Ask Cortana" button. ;)

@Deleted 

I use that a lot actually....  I teach English online in live classrooms... Whenever I come up with a word that I need defined I just hit that "Ask Cortana" button. ;)

@Deleted 

I would like to see the ability to directly open an InPrivate window from the right-click menu of the taskbar icon.

It's already there at least in Canary builds. Actually most of the basic web browser features are already here in Edge Canary, thanks to being based from Chromium.

@archtech wrote:
It's already there at least in Canary builds. Actually most of the basic web browser features are already here in Edge Canary, thanks to being based from Chromium.

@archtech You can't from the taskbar icon right-click menu in Edge Canary. The only ways to open an InPrivate window in Edge Canary is from the ... menu or <ctrl-shift-n>. If I want to go straight into InPrivate mode with first launching a normal mode Edge window, I can't do it today. You can do it with the old Edge and IE.

@Al Grosser What version do you have? Maybe there is a bug? Can anyone confirm?

Capture.PNG

I agree too. Without that resources the new Microsoft's Edge is not the same.