Issues installing Office 365 on pc with/without Edge Chromium

Brass Contributor

Over the last two days I have been trying to install Office 365 on a clean laptop, with only Edge Chromium.

Each time I ended up with the online version of Office (so, with OWA). Installed over and over, each time restoring a Windows image. I followed the exact procedures. Going into my account, start install from there, and so on.

I installed Office half a dozen times(!)

Then I gave it a try and installed Office on a clean VM version. Windows 10 x64 running on VMware Workstation. Clean: no applications at all.

The VM version included the previous Edge version, not the Chromium based one....

The install went fine.

So, it must be Edge Chromium.

On my laptop I did a reset, removing all settings.

Office install went fine!

A search on Edge Chromium and Office 365 shows quite a number of hits. I have no time to read all that.

Fact is, I could only get the online version of Office when Edge Chromium is installed.

Again, I tried half a dozen times, including using the offline installer, each time on a clean system.

Don't know if this was to be expected and should have been aware of it.

10 Replies
About the hits you talking about saying Edge prevents Office 365 install, show us a few of them?

If you've installed Office lots of times before, you must know whether it is installed successfully in the end or not, right? when you go to Control panel or Windows settings => Apps, do you see Office 365 installed?

Are you receiving any errors?

do you see Word, Excel in Start menu? how about when you search for them?

The Progressive Web Apps (PWA) reside here: edge://apps/

@HotCakeX 

I don't get any errors, nothing. The install goes fine, both on 'old' Edge and 'new' Edge.

Installed Office quite a number of times.

The only difference is, with 'old' Edge I get the 'normal' Office 365.

With Edge Chromium I  get the 'online version', so without the toolbar, with the file menu etc.

I don't know why this, spent quite some time on figuring this out. 

Maybe it is me only, but it is weird. After resetting the laptop, Office install went fine, i.e. I get the normal version (with the toolbars).

I assumed you're on Windows 10, but from the screenshot looks like you're using Windows 7, right?
or using something like Startisback to change the start menu? I don't know

Check here, my Office 365 pro plus files are in this folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

If your Office installation was successful, you should see this folder full of files. search for "WINWORD.EXE" and "EXCEL.EXE"

@Mike999 Do you have Office files in folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16?

@HotCakeX 

and

@msekmfb1 

Thanks for the tip. This morning I gave it again a try and installed Office 365 on my laptop, with... Edge Chromium.

Again Outlook, Excel were launched as online.

Then, indeed, I went on to search for the .exe files. They were there in ..\Root\Office16 folder.

Pinned them to the start menu.

It is working fine now.

Thank you both for the tip!

Have to confess, did not think of this solution. 

Instead I gave it another try and another try, assuming I was doing something wrong in the setup.

Still though ...

even though the issue is solved now, with your help and this r-click pinning to start workaround, it remains strange nonetheless.  I know people who are not familiar with forums, hence they would not be able to solve this. They expect the software to work properly 'out of the box'.

Again, many thanks!

I'm glad you fixed your problem,
But lots of questions remain though, and for someone else who might find this question it will be confusing.

1. Which version of Windows are you using?
2. are you using any tools that modifies Start Menu and its behavior?

@HotCakeX 

I am using Windows 10 x64 latest build (both desktop and laptop)

Yes, I use Start10 to get me the old-fashioned startmenu.

That Is the reason that created the confusion for you.

you can disable/remove it, try Office/Edge installation again and you will see the problem won't happen this time. :)

@HotCakeX 

Sorry for the delay. I was busy installing software.

As for the above: you are most probably right HotCakeX
I honestly did not expect this to happen. Have reported it to Start10 (Stardock)

Again, many, many thanks for all your help!

Truly appreciated.