SOLVED

Is there any plans to offer search with other search providers?

Brass Contributor

Are there any plans to offer search with other search providers, other than Bing? At least for the Linux and Mac editions? 

7 Replies

@chdslv 

@chdslv wrote:

Are there any plans to offer search with other search providers, other than Bing? At least for the Linux and Mac editions? 

Wait...you're saying that you don't have this option in Mac and Linux?
edge://settings/search

I think he just can't find it, they hid this option so deep (under Privacy), unlike other browsers, that the first time I searched for it for about ten minutes, until I figured out using the search for settings

@msekmfb1 

@msekmfb1 wrote:

I think he just can't find it, they hid this option so deep (under Privacy), unlike other browsers, that the first time I searched for it for about ten minutes, until I figured out using the search for settings

that's why there is a search bar in the settings.

type "search" and you see that option. nobody needs to remember anything, the search bar is for that.

the same applies to Windows settings, or control panel etc.

Ok, thanks.

I wouldn't have minded having Bing to do the search, if it was efficient, but it is not, and gets stuck most of the time. 

I managed to get Google to do the search with the right click, thanks to you guys, But I can't still get rid of Bing. It is either the address bar or the search bar, not both. I have a certain liking to MS Edge since, it was available to Linux. 

Anyway, I'd like to know, if there's way to get rid of Bing completely. 

best response confirmed by chdslv (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@chdslv 

You can use this configuration for new tab page

fdsfds.jpg

but Bing will be used in the sidebar regardless. it's because it's optimized to run in that small area.

I use Bing on daily basis since the past 1.5 years, it's getting better and better. it finds me websites that Google didn't index. but I think the only problem Bing has, is that it has less indexed/crawled websites than Google, do you agree?

@HotCakeX 

Thank you very much!

What I need is what Google finds, not what Bing finds. It is a professional matter. 

I would've liked to use Google Chrome, for its simplicity, but it has too much Google interference. Edge is simple enough and there isn't any MS interference yet, at least in Linux. I don't want to use Edge in Windows, just for that. I don't like never ending prompts too. 

MS Edge dev for Linux is doing quite well atm. Hope, it'd become better. Those devs, who are developing it are working on Linux for that, so they understand, I hope.

You're welcome,
of course, it should get better and better, i think to keep it simple one of the ways would be to rely on extensions as much as possible, especially when people request rare features.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by chdslv (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@chdslv 

You can use this configuration for new tab page

fdsfds.jpg

but Bing will be used in the sidebar regardless. it's because it's optimized to run in that small area.

I use Bing on daily basis since the past 1.5 years, it's getting better and better. it finds me websites that Google didn't index. but I think the only problem Bing has, is that it has less indexed/crawled websites than Google, do you agree?

View solution in original post