SOLVED

Is the final version of the new Edge gonna be included in the Windows 10 20H1?

MVP

The development is going fast, Mac version and Beta version of the new Edge are already leaked to the public, so i think it's safe to assume that the stable and final version of the new Edge will be included in the Windows 10 20H1 and it will replace both the current Edge (spartan) and the Internet explorer. right?

20 Replies

@HotCakeX  "The development is going fast, Mac version and Beta version of the new Edge are already leaked to the public, so i think it's safe to assume that the stable and final version of the new Edge will be included in the Windows 10 20H1 and it will replace both the current Edge (spartan) and the Internet explorer."

It is early days yet, as others frequently point out, and the Edge team has a lot of work to do to get Edge Chromium in shape for release on Windows (7/8/10) platforms, not to mention MacOS.  So I think it is too early to guess when Edge Chromium will be released.  I won't be surprised at a release before next Fall if everything falls into place rapidly, and I won't be surprised at a release as late as the end of the year or even next Spring if the development process hits bumps in the road.

How Edge Chromium will be released and marketed isn't clear to me, either.  It might make good marketing sense for Microsoft to (a) hold off release until the new Edge is available on Windows 7/8, as well as Windows 10 and MacOS, and (b) release/market the new Edge independently of a Window 10 release, both marketing strategies designed to make a larger marketing splash/statement.

I don't know, obviously, and Microsoft is mum, so your guess is as good as mine.  But I suspect that it would be a marketing mistake for Microsoft to release the new Edge piecemeal and under cover of the Windows 10 Fall Update cover.  

In terms of IE replacement, I thought that IE as a browser (as opposed to "Windows components") would sink beneath the waves soon after Edge Chromium was released.  But  Fred Pullen's presentation at the Build conference gives me pause.  It looks like we may go through a relatively long transition period where IE remains an active browser.

Where can I find the beta version?

@leoj3008 The beta version is not available yet. Only the Canary and Dev channel is available right now.

@Rohit Yadav 

Allow me to set you straight.  The Edge Chromium Dev & Canary Insider Builds ARE BETAS.  They are the beta versions of Edge Chromium.  There is no other beta version coming... they ARE IT.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@HotCakeX 

That is exactly & precisely what many of us are expecting & suggesting.  That ETA seems reasonable & in conjunction with 1909 would not be surprising.  It would, certainly, be replacing Edge and with IE Mode available with Edge C, it is hard to see anymore need or reason to have IE lingering around any longer.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 wrote:

@Rohit Yadav 

There is no other beta version coming... 

Perhaps you missed this on the page you linked to?

Edgium-Beta-notice.png

@Drew1903 

i said leaked, not officially posted, there is a difference.

@Noel Burgess 

Noel, yes, perhaps I did (obviously) & of course, now catch what y'all are/were meaning. I will, still, stick to my guns, though, in that Dev & Canary are beta Builds. Canary updates daily, Dev wkly & this so-called Beta is every 6 weeks.  All (3) betas, but, different 'tracks'. This would be comparable to Win10 Insider Builds having Slow, Fast & Skip-ahead tracks OR Office Insider Builds, also, have different levels of varying update intervals.  All Insider Builds of whatever update frequency are betas.  The slower are more stable, more 'refined'... due to the work done on the more frequently updating tracks.

The term 'Preview' has, also, been used for things. Preview (Build) is another way of spelling beta.

There is logic that Edge C will come with 1909.  It's better to say it could come with 1909.  It could even be after that.  All I will venture to say, is I can't imagine it being released any time before 1909.

I admit, I'm often not aware of what leaked things are available.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 the beta channel is different from the Developer channel and Canary channel... The frequency with which you receive the builds vary and sets the audience for many people those who like to stay on a more refined release.
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Hi @HotCakeX, we are working hard to get the Beta channel up and running, as well as getting the browser working properly on Windows 7 and Window 8/8.1. We have not released dates yet for any of these releases.  We are getting a lot of feedback from you, our Insiders, and trying to make sure that we are building the browser that you want.  Thank you for your patience, and please keep sending us your feedback and suggestions.

Elliot

@Rohit Yadav 

Do you realise you just repeated what I had said ;):smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: Cool we are all on the same wavelength.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I hope Microsoft does something with Windows, GitHub's Electron, Chromium, and their new Edge. Ya know. Something like how Android's system webview uses Chrome

@Elliot Kirk 

This reminds me of a thought that crossed my mind the other day... we SO much want End User to be off pre-10 OSs, try so hard to have people using Win10... Maybe, 8/8.1 is one thing, but, to bother having Edge C support Win7 makes one wonder WHY.  There is only a few months left to its well-played old life.  Why build a saddle for an old horse being put out to pasture. Save the trouble, time & effort; same as not bothering to build for Vista or XP.  Just saying...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903

I remind you that Microsoft will sell Extended Security Updates for Enterprises that use Windows 7 so they can have enough time to migrate their machines to a newer OS, that support it's going to last at least 3 years more, with that in mind, now do you know why develop it for Windows 7 too?

@leoj3008 

Sure. But, in my view, the lingering of 7 becomes too prolonged.  There's been more than 3 yrs already. Instead of indulging, more should be done to urge leaving 7.  10 has made so much more good sense, for a long time.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Both systems has its pros and cons, if Microsoft decided to support Windows 7 for so long they must have a very good reason.

@leoj3008 

Comparing Win10 to anything pre-10, actually, is nothing more than a moot point.  7 WAS good & as we know, very popular.  And that's fine, as in, all well & good.  However, nothing changes, takes away from or negates the fact the Windows OS is Windows 10, period.  Nothing justifies NOT being on Windows 10.  Mountains of good reason DO justify it.  For 3yrs we have been urging & striving to have Folks be on 10... delays need to stop.  As I said whilst talking with some other gentlemen yesterday... One can contrast Win10 to pre-10 OSs, but, there is no comparison.  Nor does it matter, ultimately, that there are vast differences.  All that matters is one should be on Windows 10, albeit, quite overdue.  10 makes heaps of sense (smarts), being on earlier OSs doesn't.  You know, we went through this with XP, too... having to struggle trying to have people stop using it. Though, moving to Win10 transcends that, in so much that one should be on 10, no matter what they were using.  One must, always, remember... 10 is not just another in the past series of OSs.  There WAS them and NOW, there is 10. 10 & pre-10 are galaxies apart.  Nor is there any "Pick an OS", it's 10.  Folks need to let go of other stuff.

And, you sure as heck DO NOT put an OS, that is not receiving Security Updates, on the net:exclamation_mark:

Ok, that's my editorial ;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

:face_with_tears_of_joy::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::face_with_tears_of_joy::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: Love it and Well Said!!

Dennis5mile
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Hi @HotCakeX, we are working hard to get the Beta channel up and running, as well as getting the browser working properly on Windows 7 and Window 8/8.1. We have not released dates yet for any of these releases.  We are getting a lot of feedback from you, our Insiders, and trying to make sure that we are building the browser that you want.  Thank you for your patience, and please keep sending us your feedback and suggestions.

Elliot

View solution in original post