is not supported

Copper Contributor

my phone just broke and i rely on ms edge for all my passwords me who is using ms edge on linux b/c this pc doesnt run win 10 nicely im stuck any idea when acccount syncin is avalable on linux

13 Replies

Hi,

I posted a solution for you to use your passwords in Linux without any problems, please look at my last post below.

there is currently no official timeline released from Edge developers about when sync is coming to Edge Linux.
there are 3 public roadmaps for Edge:
1) the top feedback list Pinned in this forum
2) https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next
3) https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=In%20development%2CRolling%20out%2CMic...

if it's urgent, I suggest to use another phone or another computer (Windows/Mac/Android/IOS) to sign into Edge and gain access to your passwords.

@Bradfordbrad  Neither Microsoft Account sign-in nor sync is currently available for Edge-Linux.   Both appear to be planned for release at some point in the future, but Microsoft has not given us any information about when those basic features will be available despite repeated inquiries.  Based on the history of development lag for Edge-Linux, it may well be months. You might be able to retrieve your passwords through Microsoft Support, signing in to your MSA with Firefox or whatever browser is used on your Linux machine.

@tomscharbach 

@tomscharbach wrote:

@Bradfordbrad  Neither  You might be able to retrieve your passwords through Microsoft Support, signing in to your MSA with Firefox or whatever browser is used on your Linux machine.

I don't think so. Microsoft support shouldn't have access to user passwords, even if the data is not encrypted, which they are (see below), they're not going to give out user password in plain text, not even on a file.

that'd just sound ridiculous.

"hey Microsoft support, what's my Facebook password?" 

"here you go sir: fAcEbO0k0231"

Questions & answers about Microsoft Authenticator app - Azure AD | Microsoft Docs

• Cloud and network security: Your passwords on the cloud are encrypted and decrypted only when they reach your device. Passwords are synced over an SSL-protected HTTPS connection, which ensures no attacker can eavesdrop on sensitive data when it is being synced. We also ensure we check the sanity of data being synced over network using cryptographic hashed functions (specifically, hash-based message authentication code).

These are the same passwords as Edge. Authenticator app and Edge now share the encrypted passwords. when you change your password for a website on Edge, the password is also changed in Authenticator app, because they use the same encrypted database.

@HotCakeX   "I don't think so. Microsoft support shouldn't have access to user passwords, even if the data is not encrypted, which they are (see below), they're not going to give out user password in plain text, not even on a file.  that'd just sound ridiculous. "hey Microsoft support, what's my Facebook password?" "here you go sir: fAcEbO0k0231""

I agree with you "that'd just sound ridiculous", but your response has little or nothing to do with what I suggested ("You might be able to retrieve your passwords through Microsoft Support, signing in to your MSA with Firefox or whatever browser is used on your Linux machine.")

I did not say (or suggest) that Microsoft Support had access to the passwords or would "give out user password in plain text, not even on a file", but instead said that Microsoft Support might be able to help Bradfordbrad (the "you") retrieve Bradfordbrad's (the first "your") passwords if he was able to sign into Bradfordbrad's (the second "your") MSA through the browser on Bradfordbrad's (the third "your") Linux machine.

I don't know if it is possible or not (hence the "might be able to"), but it is possible that Microsoft could show Bradfordbrad how to retrieve his passwords through his Microsoft Account if he has access to that account.  Bradfordbrad might have a path to his stored passwords through his Microsoft Account or he might not, but a call to Microsoft Support to find out would not hurt, it seems to me.

@tomscharbach 

Spoiler

@tomscharbach wrote:

@HotCakeX   "I don't think so. Microsoft support shouldn't have access to user passwords, even if the data is not encrypted, which they are (see below), they're not going to give out user password in plain text, not even on a file.  that'd just sound ridiculous. "hey Microsoft support, what's my Facebook password?" "here you go sir: fAcEbO0k0231""

I agree with you "that'd just sound ridiculous", but you might want to read the sentence I actually wrote ("You might be able to retrieve your passwords through Microsoft Support, signing in to your MSA with Firefox or whatever browser is used on your Linux machine.") before conjuring up ridiculous scenarios and responding to those scenarios.

I did not say (or suggest) that Microsoft Support had access to the passwords or would "give out user password in plain text, not even on a file", but instead said that Microsoft Support might be able to help Bradfordbrad (the "you") retrieve Bradfordbrad's (the first "your") passwords if he was able to sign into Bradfordbrad's (the second "your") MSA through the browser on Bradfordbrad's (the third "your") Linux machine.

I don't know if it is possible or not (hence the "might be able to"), but it is possible that Microsoft could show Bradfordbrad how to retrieve his passwords through his Microsoft Account if he has access to that account.  Bradfordbrad might have a path to his stored passwords through his Microsoft Account or he might not, but a call to Microsoft Support to find out would not hurt, it seems to me.

I don't intend to get into a spitting match with you over this, but I have noticed that while your responses to people are often spot on, at other times you don't seem to be responding to what a person actually asks or says.  This, it seems to me, is one of the latter times.

I've read it completely before writing my comment, but I'm afraid you seem to have misunderstood the post. 

the OP's problem is a device problem, not account, meaning he doesn't have access to a device to use Edge or Microsoft authenticator app on.

Microsoft support can't provide anyone with a device.

signing into Microsoft account on Firefox won't give user access to their passwords.

there are currently only 3 ways to gain access to your passwords, either through Edge password manager (which requires the browser to be installed + sync capabilities), through the authenticator app on mobile devices or through the Microsoft Autofill extension for Chrome.

there is no online website to see saved passwords in.

I understand you use words like "might" or "could" and what they mean, but what I use and propose is what is available, doable and possible at the moment.

@Bradfordbrad 

I have another solution for you, I just tested it myself and verify that it works.

1. install Google Chrome on Linux

2. install Microsoft Autofill extension on it

Microsoft Autofill - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

3. sign in to your Microsoft account in that extension

4. access your saved passwords safely.

With Microsoft Autofill you can:
- Avoid the hassle of forgetting passwords by saving them online
- Save time by automatically filling your passwords on sites you visit
- Access your saved passwords on all your devices

More info

@HotCakeX  Good solution for Chrome users. 

@Bradfordbrad The Microsoft Autofill extension can be added directly to Edge-Linux from the Google Store, and works just fine on Edge-Linux once authenticated/verified.  Installing the extension directly on Edge-Linux would save the trouble of installing Chrome.

@HotCakeX Fascinating.  The fact that the Chrome extension works with Edge-Linux suggests to me that Microsoft is not facing any show-stopping technical impediments to enabling MSA sign-in and sync to Edge-Linux.  Do you have any idea why Microsoft has been so slow to implement the feature on Edge-Linux directly?

I guess they couldn't port the same sync functionality from Windows to Linux and had to make fundamental changes to it to be compatible on Linux.
just like when Edge released to Windows it only had favorites sync and the rest came later.
خوب و عالی

@HotCakeX "I guess they couldn't port the same sync functionality from Windows to Linux and had to make fundamental changes to it to be compatible on Linux."

That's probably right.  I have the impression that the Edge-Linux team is quite small.  So far, what we seem to be getting is whatever the Dev version is from time-to-time without porting of basic features/functions like sign-in and sync.

I'm glad you pointed the way to installing the Microsoft Autofill extension on Edge-Linux.  I've been trying to test Edge-Linux on Ubuntu (both bare metal on a laptop running Ubuntu and in a Ubuntu Gnome Box in Solus 4.1 on a desktop) and not being able to sign in or use sync was a real impediment to testing real-work situations.  Without the ability to sign-in or sync, I had a toy browser that wasn't much use for testing.  Now I can do some serious work with Edge-Linux.  Thanks.

How has your Edge-Linux testing been going?  If I remember right, you were going to test in a VM on Windows 10.  I've found only a few instances (mostly related to rendering) where issues arose, but all of those were in the Gnome Box implementation and did not replicate on the bare-metal installation.

You're welcome,
it's totally understandable, sync is very fundamental and needed,
I haven't had the chance to test Edge dev on Linux yet, i think I should finally do it :)

@HotCakeX "I haven't had the chance to test Edge dev on Linux yet, i think I should finally do it :)"

If you do, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Edge-Linux is almost indistinguishable from Edge-Windows, although Edge-Linux is still missing a lot of basic features available in Edge-Windows.

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction on Microsoft Autofill as an Edge-Linux workaround.  I passed the information along on two Linux-side forums I participate in, and several others have also tested the solution on Edge-Linux today, and found it workable.

I'm a little surprised that nobody on the Linux-side knew about Microsoft Autofill.  I didn't because I don't use Chrome, period.  My guess is that none of the others trying to test Edge-Linux use Chrome either, and Microsoft Autofill is not available for Firefox, which has about an 80% market share in Linux.  So we didn't know, and your efforts on behalf of Bradfordbrad gave us the clue that we needed to facilitate more realistic testing.