is it possible to disable the file download prompt for keeping or deleting?

Copper Contributor

i have Windows defender disabled. 

i don't see any setting Edge.

3 Replies

Hi @cpascparaacom , you are welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider Community Hub!

If you want to stop seeing the prompt which asks whether to open, save, or save as the files. Go to the settings page then downloads section or directly copy and paste this URL in the address bar given in brackets (edge://settings/downloads) and then turn "Ask me what to do with each download" toggle off.

2021-05-08 (5)_LI.jpg

Misunderstanding: it's not the open, save, save as prompt that I want to disable. It's the warning that asks if you want to keep or delete because it might be a dangerous file . I don't think it's Windows security doing this because I don't get that prompt when downloading the same file from other browsers.

@Len Raphael 

Same issue here and it's not Windows security because I'm on a Mac running 

Version 104.0.1293.63 (Official build) (arm64)

I have the same issue and have "do not ask" unticked and have also selected a default downloads destination.. Whenever I download say a .dmg, .ISO or other file typed it ALWAYS asks if I want to keep it instead of just downloading it. It's driving me bonkers. I'm on the Mac Version 104.0.1293.63 of Edge. Anyone have any ideas how to just let the file download without me having to click on "keep" ? Very silly this is even turned on by default, button way to turn off Edge asking me either. 

ALSO why do Chrome and Edge BOTH (Chromium based) browsers keep setting themselves to "auto-launch at login"? If I go into users and groups and remove them, they just add themselves back when I launch either one again.....also a huge frustration. I do NOT want my browser to launch automatically when I turn on my Mac, and especially not auto-add itself back to do so after I've specifically removed it again.