SOLVED

Is Edge browser a 32-bit browser?

Deleted
Not applicable
I went to Java's website the other day to download Java-64bit in order to play Minecraft. Then the problem arose, whenever I download the installer directly from java.com, I get a 32-bit installer, java.com Both recognize Edge as a 32-bit browser. It took me a long time to find the 64-bit installer.
Also, my software manager recognizes Edge as a 32-bit application, which is the same as Microsoft's official browser settings in the The "version 85.0.531.1 (official internal version) dev (64-bit)" in the details page. They contradict each other. And the default installation path for edge is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
So, is Edge a 32-bit application or a 64-bit application?Snipaste_2020-06-07_18-00-07.png
10 Replies
My groupmates all agree that Edge is a 32-bit browser…

@Deleted 

Yes, both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome(which I don't have on my computer now) are 32-bit browsers. You can see that Microsoft Edge is stored in program files(x86) folder which is for 32-bit applications.

This file address is seen in the file explorer folder.This file address is seen in the file explorer folder.

Note: Only users having 64-bit systems can see program files(x86) folder who have 32-bit applications installed and 32-bit users will only have the program files folder.

@Deleted Nope, they are wrong. Edge is available in x86 and x64. You, by accident, installed the x86 (32 bit) variant, if you are using a 64 bit version of Windows.

You can see the variant also from edge://version/

If you want to correct that you can uninstall Edge and reinstall the correct version from:

https://www.microsoft.com/edge

@TheShaunSaw Sorry, this not correct.

Both Edge and Chrome are available as 32 and 64 bit variants, unfortunately both suffer from bugs in the installer that installs AMD64 variant in x86 programfiles path, really a beginners fault. 

@Henno_Keers 

Thank you for your response.
Things are getting very interesting now, but I'm still agree with @TheShaunSaw .
Because, one, I always download Edge directly from the official website(https://www.microsoft.com/zh-cn/edge), and two, I noticed a long time ago that it's configuration information didn't match the information from management software 

♪(´▽`)

Snipaste_2020-06-08_16-36-02.pngSnipaste_2020-06-08_16-56-15.png

best response
Solution

@Deleted 

In Shaun's post that's just a InstallDir path misstake, and that's wrong, no question.

In your post you can see that is says that it is the 64 bit executable, with Bit in Chinese.

You could see this in Task Manager where there is no (32 bit) behind it.

@Henno_Keers 

That's true.

In the Task Manager, Edge is a 64-bit application. But there's no answer to why Java.com provides a 32-bit installer by default. Maybe something wrong with java.com.

@Henno_Keers 

Yes, you are correct, Microsoft Edge has both the variants x86 and x64 so I checked through different ways and got that I have Microsoft Edge x64 on my computer so this should be an issue with the installer.

Apologies for the misinformation.

@Deleted We are happy to confirm that MSFT Edge is indeed a 64-bit browser. (To make a long story short, there is an issue in the Chromium code that can make it appear like it's 32-bit in the Program Files folder.) 

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help answer!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi I was creating an Firewall Entry for the Edge, because I'm also testing as an Dev Insider, Windows 11 and I found out, I could not find my Edge Program under Program Files, instead it found it under Program Files (x86). And I was aware that All the Insider Builds are 64Bits?
Could you advise on this, because I'm testing and running only 64Bits Applications and I had some issues with Edge the last couple of builds and I recon these issues are because of were Edge is put on the C:\ Drive. This can't be changed and for the companies I'm testing this, it's very problematic because it searches for Edge in the Program Files folder and not in the Program File (x86) I can tweak this of course towards this Folder, but this is not good. This means our whole installation through SCCM needs to be changed and I need to add an command or script for this issue.
The Project Team is already moving away from Edge because of this, but this can't be the case for Edge.
This should be easily solvable, please advise.
Do I need to download an other version, because I've downloaded all of the versions now;
MicrosoftEdgeSetupDev.exe
MicrosoftEdgeSetupCanary.exe
MicrosoftEdgeSetupBeta.exe
MicrosoftEdgeSetup.exe

I've also did Clean Installation of Windows 11 and everything I try to do with Edge Ends up in Program Files (x86)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@Deleted 

In Shaun's post that's just a InstallDir path misstake, and that's wrong, no question.

In your post you can see that is says that it is the 64 bit executable, with Bit in Chinese.

You could see this in Task Manager where there is no (32 bit) behind it.

View solution in original post