Install apps option

Bronze Contributor

Hello

How I can disable the install "apps" option on certain sites (icon which appears in the address bar) ?

clipboard_image_1.png

Thanks

13 Replies
Hi,
which channel are you on?

@HotCakeX 

Hi

Canary channel ;)

There was a flag in older versions but i can't find it anymore on canary so it appears that it's removed and you can't do anything about that prompt, i think it's possible to disable it using group policy though
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

@HotCakeX 

Ok thanks, I can't find in group policy for this option

Well it's just a feature that is part of the modern browsers, when you cancel it, it won't ask you again

@HotCakeX 

Even if I "cancel" it, the icon/option always comes back

Do you see this problem only in Outlook website?

@HotCakeX 

For now, yes 

Try deleting "site permissions" and "hosted app data" from here edge://settings/clearBrowserData
also find and delete all cookies belonging to "live" or "outlook"
edge://settings/siteData
then try again

@HotCakeX 

Tested with a new installation, it's the same

Also in Chrome now, probably a new feature from Outlook.com (linked to Outlook.com or Chromium)

Try Firefox

@tistou thanks for the feedback. We are working on that user experience. 

I would like to ask why you want it not to show up for you. Is it just annoying, or do you click it by accident some times, or ??? 

Currently it shows up when the web developer for that site wants it to: they have implemented a service worker, written a manifest file, and hosted their site on https:// .

So far we have been focused on making sure it shows up when webdevs want it to, we have not focused on hiding it when users don't want to see it.

-John 

@johnjansen 

Hi

Indeed, at the beginning I clicked on it by accident
But it's true that I like having the choice to hide or not what I don't use

But there are other little "bugs/suggestions" that I reported more important than this one :smile: