Install A Website As App

Copper Contributor

Are PWA's or websites that are turned into apps on new Edge suspended in background like  UWP apps are? Are they draining your system more or less so than UWP apps? And are they sand-boxed like the other type of apps as well?

3 Replies

Hi @darren79 

the new Edge insider (and its PWAs) are completely separate from Universal Windows Platform (UWP).

so any similarity between them need to be manually benchmarked by users. (i.e system resource usage etc)

if you add a site as an app (or progressive web app), it will be the same as the normal browser tabs.

(not 100% sure about this due to lack of official documentations) but from what I've experienced, it's like that.

now there is a flag called "tab freeze"

Annotation 2019-11-10 201334.png

I assume it has effects on the PWAs too as well as the normal tabs, but again not sure.

OK thanks for that, I'll try the tab freezing. I quite like being able to turn them in websites but wondered about how they compared in performance comparison to each other UWP v PWA.

Yeah, well you could use resource monitor in Windows 10 or performance analyzer in Windows 10 ADK to measure them properly.
for example Spotify has a web player which you could add it as a PWA and it also has a PWA that is in Windows store.
the one in Edge insider obviously uses the Chromium engine but the one installed from the Windows store uses the EdgeHTML engine from Edge classic, since it is the official WebView system inside Windows 10 for now.

my guess is that the one using EdgeHTML engine will use less system resources :)