Ink Support, Web notes and Sharing on Chromium Edge

Brass Contributor

I was able to use my Surface pen to annotate webpages, pdf files, etc. on Microsoft Edge

Please bring the functionality on Chromium Edge as well.

Also, the sharing with OneNote, Nearby Sharing, and with other apps is also missing in the new Chromium Edge.

However, please keep it unique to Chromium Edge only. 

Cortana, Ink annotation, Sharing options, etc. are what keeping Edge unique from others.

35 Replies
:grinning_face_with_sweat: didn't realized I already had comment here ling time ago.

I am not a troll :face_savoring_food:

@soumitra2102Wow, agree completely! Until inking works like Classic Edge I will not be happy!

Right now I get nothing at all when I click on a text box. NOTHING.

From the 3 subject that OP mentioned: "Ink Support, Web notes and Sharing"
2 of them are already available, only 1 is missing and it's Web notes or web inking.

anywhere there are separate discussions about each one
https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback
Nope, when I tap a text box there is no way for me to enter text. I went back to old Edge so I could write this answer with my pen.
Correction, it works if I use my finger, but not the pen! NOW THAT IS JUST STUPID!
I wasn't talking about writing with pen. the base features are implemented, now it's about polishing and fine tuning them for extra stuff like pens and stylus.
I don't see how it's stupid since it's not a finished thing.

@V-FRROME  After 27 years on various models of Thinkpad, I found Surface Laptop 3 at a local store two days ago and made the leap which I thought would never happen.  It's been a long time since I bought anything related to PC the day I found it.  That day, I used Edge for the first time, and found out about the add notes function, which would've been just perfect for my work..  I'd been pasting cropped images onto PowerPoint, which is just unbelievably analogue.  And then, as I was running updates for Windows and Office, I had no idea that this functionality is gone in the latest Chromium-based version of Edge, and now the pre-installed Edge is gone..  What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to try out the touch display which seems to work pretty well on Laptop 3.

So you received the new Edge (version 79) automatically from Windows update?
could you mention which Windows 10 version were you using?

also you can uninstall it from control panel or Settings app, restart your device and you should be able to use the legacy Edge again.

then use blocker toolkit to prevent further installation retries
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/deployedge/microsoft-edge-blocker-toolkit

You can also have both versions installed, which I'm doing on my Surface Pro 4 with Win 10 Pro.  @HotCakeX previously gave instructions on how to do that.  Those instructions didn't work for me but I found a registry change that allowed me to do it.  Chromium Edge is not ready for prime time in my opinion -- and it would be surprising if it was automatically installed. The current stable version does not have all features implemented.  But it is stable and works well for me.  When it doesn't have the features I need (e.g., pen support), I use the legacy (old) version.

Hi, I did manually update Edge to 79.0.309.71 by downloading it, not through Windows update.  I'm on Win10.0.18362 Build 18362.  Would you be kind enough to point me to your post which describes how to have both pre-Chromium and Chromium Edge, which @SafariLarry mentioned ?   (went through your posts but couldn't find it..) 

I also noticed your former post on the two forums on legacy Edge and Chromium Edge.  Hope mine wasn't too out of line.  Thank you so much !

@gakushi_stily 

Spoiler

@gakushi_stily wrote:

Hi, I did manually update Edge to 79.0.309.71 by downloading it, not through Windows update.  I'm on Win10.0.18362 Build 18362.  Would you be kind enough to point me to your post which describes how to have both pre-Chromium and Chromium Edge, which @SafariLarry mentioned ?   (went through your posts but couldn't find it..) 

I also noticed your former post on the two forums on legacy Edge and Chromium Edge.  Hope mine wasn't too out of line.  Thank you so much !

Hi, of course, no problem :)

All of the information you need are in this Microsoft document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge#how-to-enable-a...

A little more detail, using the method of changing the registry...  If you have installed Chromium Edge (stable), uninstall it to get Classic edge back.  Make the registry change.  Here's a link with a bit more detail on making the registry change:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/run-legacy-edge-and-chromium-edge 

Reboot.  Then install Chromium Edge.  You'll then have both versions (I think!).

Now, when I select the icon to run classic edge, it doesn't run, the screen flashes and nothing else happens.  However if I right-click on the classic edge icon and select "New Window", it runs.  Rather odd behavior, but it works.

I now use Chromium Edge mostly.  I use Classic Edge when I need a feature not implement in Chromium Edge.

@soumitra_tamuk365 What if this Cortana was a fully integrated thing, Like Siri/Google Assistant specifically for the Edge Chromium browser, now that would be cool. (Especially if an Easter Egg lets you make it look like it is Clippy or a Blibbet)

@konthuruthyj05 I meant if they made a Cortana for Edge Chromium (it would make it stand out from the crowd)

@V-FRROME any news on the web notes release for the new Edge? Thanks!