Increase User Options to Clear Data Upon Exit

Bronze Contributor

A suggestion: Add the ability to automatically "clear" more data on closing the browser in Edge Chromium, and allow the user the option to select what is cleared and what is not cleared upon exit. Edge Classic handles this beautifully (see attached screenshots). Edge Chromium, on the hand, like Chrome, allows users to automatically delete cookies upon exit, but that's all it allows. Chrome's deficiency in this respect is one of the reasons I don't use Chrome on my Windows computers, or Chromium on my Linux computers.

4 Replies

@tomscharbach totally agree, the following options should be implemented in Edge Chromium too.

edge_clear_2

@tomscharbach 

Try Click & Clean Chrome extension. However, if you look at SSD writes by Chromium in resmon, you'll get an idea erasing cache and then opening the same pages again and again at browser launch is not necessarily a good idea. Clearing History and even site password cookies on your home PC is not always the best productivity option either.

@sambul95 

"Try Click & Clean Chrome extension."   

Why?  It doesn't resolve the issue.

"However, if you look at SSD writes by Chromium in resmon, you'll get an idea erasing cache and then opening the same pages again and again at browser launch is not necessarily a good idea."

If I understand you beneath the jargon, you are pointing out that anything that increases the number of small-data write/erase cycles -- for example, the auto-save feature in word processing and other applications -- reduces the life of SSD's.  So what? 

"Clearing History and even site password cookies on your home PC is not always the best productivity option either."

Again, so what?

All I'm suggesting is that Microsoft give users an option.  Edge (Classic) does that, as does Firefox.  Chrome doesn't -- in fact seems to go out of its way to make clearing data on exit difficult --  probably for reasons related to Google's business model.  Microsoft doesn't have to mindlessly follow suit.

@tomscharbach 

I was under impression you need a quick fix, not just philosophical discussion. As Edge roadmap emphasizes Privacy, certain they will add such choices overtime. I like your suggestion. :)