Improving touch experience

Brass Contributor

Edit:

Hey, so I was thinking about how edge's UI could be improved to be made more touch friendly. 

Edge could offer a "tablet mode", something inexistant in most other browsers I can think of (appart from very basic support), which could make this the go-to browser solution for convertible.

When enabled (through either a switch or by detecting that tablet mode is enabled in the windows settings) edge would offers a more touch-friendly experience with re-scaled UI elements/mobile versions of websites/pull-to-refresh etc...

Being a surface pro user, having the possibility to switch between the mobile and desktop versions of a website (just like in most phone browsers) would also prove very valuable when browsing the web without a keyboard.

Furthermore, providing the option to install the mobile version of a website as an app would prove even more valuable as these would allow for a much better tablet experience on devices such as the surface by tying together the app concept and the experience of a touch-friendly website design.

Let me know what you guys think, cheers

3 Replies

I can only agree on this.

Its sad that, despite the Surface devices, the experience is so unsatisfying.

A good starting point would actually be the url bar at the bottom like in the old win8 metro browser.

Also someone of you actually could try to use Edge with a Surface Pro. I am sure that there are a bunch of issues which would be obvious immediateley.

I keep reporting i.e. Giving feedback, but its not fun to see them unsolved update by update.

Edge Classic.

@Canicovic 

I like the idea of Edge having a tablet mode. I would love to be able to set up Edge so that when Windows enters tablet mode, Edge goes to full-screen mode, with the tabs and address bar appearing when swiping from the top of the screen, with tab previews always on. This would provide a similar experience to Internet Explorer on Windows 8, which was great on tablets.