Improvements on features that are in Insider channels

Bronze Contributor

Hi there, 

The development of features in Edge is going quite smooth & it doesn't even feels like using the Canary builds as daily driver. However, in my use of the builds, I came across some improvements that can be made to features already introduced in the channels.

1. In Reading view,
    1. Either the site's favicon should be preserved, or a new icon for Reading mode must be introduced.
    2. In the address bar, the same site info should be shown. Currently clicking on site info shows it as unsecured, even for secured sites.
  2. For the PiP mode, the option to switch to PiP should be introduced in the right click menu, just like the Casting option. Some sites don't allow right clicking on them & we have to use the Google's extension for PiP then...
  3. The emojis while typing aren't always the one according to the OS. Some emojis show up as white, which I think are in the Chromium code base.
  4. Autoplay- Autoplay is not able to block sites from playing the content in first go. The page needs to be refreshed & then the media is blocked.
  5. A new Edge window invoked shows the Chrome's loading animation, instead of Edge. The new window so opened will show the Chrome's loading animation instead of Edge. To test this, compose a new mail in Outlook or Gmail, & choose to open it in new window, you'll see the Chrome's animation there.

Please consider improving on these features. :)

6 Replies

I agree that Edge Canary is very stable for a beta version (or the alpha version of the beta versions).

I use the PIP on my Chromium browser. I have to admit it's convenient to have it as a clickable option on the upper right hand tabs of the browser. On the other hand I hate clutter and too many icons filling up the task or top bar. I guess it a matter of personal preference. Maybe have the option to toggle between having it showing in the extension tab bar or only access it via right clicking the screen page and running the PIP, especially when watching a video page. 

But Edge Canary in itself is very stable with only a bug every so often that's usually corrected in a day at most. So I encourage others to beta test it out. 

@Anthony 

My, personal, approach has been to run all available Channels & spread my time, usage & activities across the 2 or 3 of them.  I find it interesting noticing & looking into differences in each at different times; for comparing to each other and (each) to Edge.  But, that's just my thing.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Anthony Yea, the PiP is a neat feature to multitask while having a video playing in floating window. They are already developing the PiP mode with more features. One of those feature is that if you right click on a video playing, you will get the option to switch to PiP video. It happens on YouTube, mixer & Spotify, but not on sites that forbid the browser right click menu on media. That's where my suggestion comes in, & all of that happens without any extension.

@Rohit Yadav 

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

For the PiP mode, the option to switch to PiP should be introduced in the right click menu, just like the Casting option. Some sites don't allow right clicking on them & we have to use the Google's extension for PiP then...

You suggest that PiP should be added to the right click menu but then you mention that some sites don't allow right clicking on them. that's 2 contradicting statements!

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

Autoplay- Autoplay is not able to block sites from playing the content in first go. The page needs to be refreshed & then the media is blocked.

Which Edge insider channel and version are you using?

remember that this auto play blocking feature is part of the A/B testing now. it's not available to everyone and unstable at this moment

@HotCakeX 

You suggest that PiP should be added to the right click menu but then you mention that some sites don't allow right clicking on them. that's 2 contradicting statements!

No actually what I meant there is that some sites don't allow right click on the media, but they do on the other areas of the site. Take for example: YouTube allows right click on video where you can switch to PiP, mixer also allows, but Facebook doesn't allows on the video. It allows on other areas of the site however. So my point there was to have an option for PiP in right click menu on other areas of the site, like on the media playing...

Which Edge insider channel and version are you using?

remember that this auto play blocking feature is part of the A/B testing now. it's not available to everyone and unstable at this moment

I am in the canary ring, on the most recent build 79.0.280.0 & I have Autoplay as an option in Site permissions. The report I made here is what I experienced in my usage...

@Rohit Yadav 

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

@HotCakeX 

No actually what I meant there is that some sites don't allow right click on the media, but they do on the other areas of the site. Take for example: YouTube allows right click on video where you can switch to PiP, mixer also allows, but Facebook doesn't allows on the video. It allows on other areas of the site however. So my point there was to have an option for PiP in right click menu on other areas of the site, like on the media playing...

Thanks, could you also explain what problem you are having with the current settings?

the way I see it, each website developer, based on their own insights, chooses a proper way for users to interact with theirs websites. some websites choose to put the PiP option on the right-click menu on the video and some others choose to put it on other areas of the page. this gives website developers flexibility. I think if there is a problem in a specific site design then it's the site developer's job to fix it and provide users better accessibility.