Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it - Discussion

Microsoft

We have received a lot a feedback about the need for a home page button to be added to the browser’s user interface.  Chromium has always supported a home button, but by default it does not show next to the address bar.  As we read through the feedback, we began to feel that the desire for a home button seemed to depend on whether or not you had one on your previous browser.  To address this need, we have added the home button setting to the settings that we migrate when you install the latest versions of Microsoft Edge.  You can also always go into the Settings->Appearance->Customize and add or remove the home button from the address bar.  We hope that this addresses the main problems that most people have encountered with the home button. Many early adopters of the Insider versions of Microsoft Edge did not get this first run experience and just received the default Chromium configuration, which doesn’t show the home button.  We would like to hear what you think on this issue though.  Is this the main issue you had experienced?  If you had your home button setting migrated, would that meet or exceed your expectations?

31 Replies

@ElTwo 

One small thing regarding Home button... when in Reading view with an article from the Home Page it takes one back to the Home page, obviously. Without it, one goes back to the article, that has, already, just been read in RV so, no reason to go back to that.  Going back to the article & then back to the Home page is extra unnecessary steps & clicks.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

My point is that I like having the Home button open multiple pages/tabs

@ElTwo 

Yes, I went back & read your note.  Right, this is only offering one.  Point taken.  Edge DOES offer "page or pageS".  Edge C, one!  They would be wise to offer multiple pages.  Really, now that you mention it, should be an expected norm.  AND it is another instance where what exists in Edge should must be in Edge C!  This is another example of what is supposed to be in a browser, this ability, ergo, it is wrong to have it lacking.  You have an absolutely valid point, here.  Please, stick it in Feedback & in the "strength in numbers" sense, I will, too.  It definitely must be added.  Good catch, on your part, btw.

Cheers,
Drew

if you don't want to go back then user can start searching for something right form the address bar, click on any favorite links or open a new tab, they all offer more options than home button

@ElTwo 

FYI:

Since setting Home button to 1 OR MORE pageS (plural) is the norm... is, already, in Edge... is appreciated by both commercial Users and consumers...  

The Teams are addressing this.  I'll go out on a limb & suggest we'll be seeing it in Edge C, soon.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

That will be great to see, very useful at work for me.

@ElTwo 

Yes, it will.  Will be wanted, used & appreciated by many people at work or otherwise.

I had received word from the Team, today re this.

Cheers,
Drew

How to set Home button to open more than 1 page?

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

Yes, it will.  Will be wanted, used & appreciated by many people at work or otherwise.
I had received word from the Team, today re this.

Would you provide a link to that? because I haven't seen anything and I'm curious

@ElTwo @josh_bodner 

This makes the Home button not having its "pageS", really, silly... Startup DOES
And so should Home button! As we all know.  Supposed to be offered the same for both!
Pages.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 wrote:

This makes the Home button not having its "pageS", really, silly... Startup DOES
And so should Home button! As we all know.  Supposed to be offered the same for both!
Pages.jpg

I think the correct option would be here for Home button

Annotation 2019-11-08 233943.png