Import/Export password

Bronze Contributor

Hello

There is an option to export passwords
But there is no option to import them ??

Thanks

37 Replies

I've been using Beta for months and months and as it doesn't integrate with Windows Credentials Manager, those stored there are massively out of date.

After installing the Stable release last night, rather than import from Beta, it has imported from Windows Credentials Manager which as I have said are out of date.

So the password Import flag was removed from Version 81.0.394.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

and the feature is still unavailable in that version. not sure if it's a good or bad thing that the flag was removed :\

@LBXComputers 

It's better that Edge doesn't use Credential Manager of Windows, but its own Import/Export system (and password management).
When the Import feature is finally available :lol:

@HotCakeX 

I really think MS should leave the options in Flags, instead of deleting them when the option works well
It does not bother anyone

@tistou With my cynical hat on, I suspect Microsoft want you to buy licenses to allow you to enable to Sync feature which would (hopefully) sync passwords between Stable, Beta, Dev etc without requiring an export/import.

@LBXComputers 

I don't use synchronization 
I just want the Import/Export (as for Favorites) :smile:

You only need license which is actually one of the Microsoft 365 subscriptions for businesses and enterprises, to have sync feature.

if you are using free Microsoft accounts (@hotmail.com @outlook.com @live.com) then you don't need any licenses. the feature is simply unavailable at the moment, just like lots of other things..

@HotCakeX 

I do not use an MS account (local account) and no Office 365

Just wait Import option for password :)

Agreed, though removing a flag doesn't mean anything. flags are always temporary for experiments. so nothing to worry about. just keep an eye on this area
edge://settings/passwords
that's where import + export option was once available, but now only export option is available.

@tistou 

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I do not use an MS account (local account) and no Office 365

Just wait Import option for password :)

I know lol and i didn't say you do

@Deleted 

Has there been any update on the ability for Edge to re-import the same export file it creates?

This will allow passwords to move between channels if you are not using sync as well as between computers and possibly even other password managers.

Thanks

@liambramwell 

Hi,

Export can be done through the Edge password manager: edge://settings/passwords

and import can be done using the Microsoft Autofill extension

More info and how to do it here

@HotCakeX 

Hi,

Thanks but required to have MS account
I will wait for MS to integrate this option

@tistou 

Spoiler

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Hi,

Thanks but required to have MS account
I will wait for MS to integrate this option

Of course it requires Microsoft account, that's the whole point, to save and sync passwords safely in Microsoft account, encrypted.

local password database is subject to device theft, data loss and other incidents and isn't recommended.

@HotCakeX Thanks but it really should be native and built in.

@LBXComputers 

@LBXComputers wrote:

@HotCakeX Thanks but it really should be native and built in.

It's native since it's made by Microsoft and installable on Edge, but I think it will eventually be made built in too, until then, this is a great way to import passwords. when I was reading the reviews, people were reporting successful imports. 

That is great news! Thanks for the update.
it is, anytime!