Import data from Profile 1 to Profile 2

Copper Contributor

Hi

the profile feature is really nice. One thing though, I need to switch to a new user account (inside Edge) and would love to migrate all my data from the Profile1 to the Profile2. 

If I just create a new profile and then copy&paste all data inside %appdata%\local\microsoft\edge\user data\ from the old to the new folder, it sadly kills the sync function. It will then show the old user for syncing, instead of the new user.

So how can I migrate all old data (Cookies, favorites, open tabs, browser settings, ....) to a new profile?

Thanks

Patrick

12 Replies

@patoberli Thanks for reaching out, Patrick! If you haven't yet, can you please submit detailed feedback through the browser? (Shift+Alt+I) This helps the Identity team keep monitor the different feature requests.

In the meantime, I'll tag in @Avi Vaid to see if he has any insights to share.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@patoberli Unfortunately there is no great way to import data from one profile to another just yet :(

I'd love to understand why you'd like to using profile 2 instead of profile 1? Why don't you sign our of profile 1 with the account you don't want and sign in with the account you do want instead? 

Conceptually, a profile is just a container of data that you can associate with an account. Accordingly, there is no difference between 2 profiles besides the account you sign in with. So, if you switch the account you sign in with, it should achieve what you want right?

@Avi Vaid Hi all, thanks for your replies.

The reason for this is, the company I work for is merging with another company. So we now have a new Windows domain, which means new user accounts on the computer. I like now to migrate (all) my old data from the old browser profile into the newly created browser profile (on the old one is the Sync broken). 

I will try to submit the feedback on Monday (of the company policies allow). 

I've just submitted the feedback.

After upgrading to Win 10 build 2004 it finally started to work, not sure why. 

@Avi Vaid 

I'd love to understand why you'd like to using profile 2 instead of profile 1? Why don't you sign our of profile 1 with the account you don't want and sign in with the account you do want instead? 

I can give you another scenario that most users I know wants:

It should be the default, or at least a possibility, that when you create a new profile, the settings are copied from an existing default/template profile. Most professional users have an oppinion on cookie settings, tracking settings, disable password saving etc. It is kinda annoying that you have to set these every single time you create a new profile! I have a literal ton of profiles, as I work for a plethora of companies as a consultant. It would be really nice if you once and for all could set these settings, save them and then have those as a template for new profiles, so that you dont have to go through these every time you create a new profile

@Anders Rask It's even worse when you get a new computer and have to rebuild them all again!

I too also have multiple profiles (20+) for the clients I work for. First thing I do is turn off password save (as I have Lastpass), set save location, add standard shortcuts to the shortcut bar, rename the profile, add a favicon (although to be honest I don't really care about the favicon although it would be awesome if I could specify a favicon url rather than be stuck with the built in icons, but thats another issue). 

@Andy Helsby We have just (today actually) migrated all our users to a new domain. 

We used this module https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/EdgeBackupandRestore

to backup and restore profiles.

@Anders Rask I downloaded and installed https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/EdgeBackupandRestore - but now what? There's no app or program to run that I can see, just a new module in Powershell with some data files - no .exe file to run.

@sts_66 yes, it is a PowerShell script. 

If you are new to PowerShell, you can check out this link Introduction to PowerShell - Learn | Microsoft Docs

Also the documentation isn't really stellar, but the idea is that you import the module EdgeBackupandRestore

Import-Module EdgeBackupandRestore.psm1

The module contains two functions

Backup-EdgeProfile and Restore-EdgeProfile

You should be able to figure out the syntax by using help:

Get-Help Backup-EdgeProfile -example
A more recently maintained version seems to be here...
https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/EDGEProfiles/1.0.6

@Avi Vaid It's actually user habit of creating multiple profiles for keeping their various interests separate but need to make the login process all again. I was searching for the same over the net, to type here.