IE Mode incorrect User Agent string on initial request to site beginning with Version 96.0.1054.29

Copper Contributor

First of all, let me apologize for reporting a defect in this manner.  My organization has disabled most of Edge's communications with the outside world, including pressing Alt+Shift+I to report this.  So I'm starting a discussion here in the hope this bug can get traction and be fixed because it's causing problems.

When Edge is running in IE Compatibility mode, it incorrectly reports the User Agent on the first call to the web server.  

I've reproduced this by writing a simple "useragent.asp" page (yes, our application still uses Classic ASP).  The UserAgent.asp basically consists of response.write(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")).

In v95 of Edge, if I call UserAgent.asp, I get this: [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko].  This is what the website was expecting.

In v96 of Edge (from version v96.0.1054 to the latest v96.0.1054.34), if I call UserAgent.asp, I get this: [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.55 Safari/537.36 Edg/96.0.1054.34].  This is not expected.

The interesting part of this bug is if you refresh the page, UserAgent.asp then returns the proper value!  Unfortunately my application behaves in such a way that refreshing will not fix the problem this causes.

2 Replies

@Craig_Chatterton 

Hi Craig,

we had the same problem. It occurred with v96 of Edge and installation of KB5007186. Can be fixed with a registry entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes"=dword:00000001

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#internetexplorerintegrationcompl...

It looks like Edge v96.0.1054.53 has finally resolved this issue. UserAgent is now being reported correctly.