SOLVED

Icon in Edge Canary 79.0.306.0

Copper Contributor

Hi, this morning after last update the Edge Canary icon pinned in my Windows bar appears like an empty sheet. In C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application the file msedge.exe shown instead the Chromium blue icon...

12 Replies
Yup, it's like that for Everyone who is using version 79.0.306.0 canary.
same for me as well.....

Dennis5mile

Also in build 307.  It's on all 5 machines I have Canary on.  Both taskbar and desktop icon. @bludev 

I can confirm it is still missing in Version 79.0.307.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX It is not fixed in .307 either, but what I noticed

is that on my laptop that hadn't gotten .306 yet and went directly

to .307 it is the normal icon.

Now that's an interesting observation..
I'm thinking, whatever problem 0.306 caused to the icons, 0.307 failed to fix, but if you skipped 0.306 then you're fine.

@bludev 

If you do a right click on the taskbar of the edge browser you see the same blue chrom icons.

@HotCakeX Another tester found a solution:

Right click the Taskbar icon, go to Microsoft Edge Canary, right click

and choose Properties. Choose change icon and in the Browse box

navigate to:   %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\Default\Edge Profile.ico

Choose the Canary icon and apply. It worked for me on the Taskbar

and Desktop icon. It does not change the Start Menu icon.

best response confirmed by bludev (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This is the result of a bad merge with the Chromium source code.  We have a fix, and it should go out with tomorrow's Canary release.  Thanks - Elliot

Just did what you posted and worked like a charm..... copy/pasted what you posted "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\Default\Edge Profile.ico"

my start menu icon the correct icon as well....

Dennis5mile

Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@Elliot Kirk 

Thank you :)

@Elliot Kirk Just updated to 79.0.308.0 and icon has come right again

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bludev (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This is the result of a bad merge with the Chromium source code.  We have a fix, and it should go out with tomorrow's Canary release.  Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post