SOLVED

I moved to another user profile - how do i move my edge data including collections?

Microsoft

Collections were super useful for me.. would appreciate help. 

12 Replies
Hi, you need to export your collections to Word, Excel or send as an Email to yourself or someone else.
depending on your Edge channel that you are using, the file that all the collection data are supposedly save into resides in your user directory which you can find by entering this URL into your Edge browser:
edge://version/
and then look for "Profile path:" parameter
Thank you!
however, i do not have the option to login to the old profile.
i do have a backup of all apps and data.. will this help?
Maybe, I don't know if the Collection file in the user directory is encrypted with the user's credentials or not so you could try copying the same file to the new profile and see what happens :)

Thanks!

@HotCakeX  is it a file or a folder? trying to understand :(

Of course

here is the Collection file that you need to copy from your older profile to the new profile

fdsfds.png

I have around 6 collections but looks like they are all saved into one file.

I'm using Canary channel.

I tried opening it with Notepad and it looks like it's not encrypted as I could see the texts that I saved in my collection in plain text format.

Super helpful!

@HotCakeX  Thank you so much :)

i can't find this file... i was hoping it is synced to the cloud :( 

guess i lost all my collections... bummer. 

Thank you anyway :)

Anytime!
sorry to hear you lost your collections though, I thought when you mentioned you had a backup of all apps and data, that collection.json file would be in your backup too. but I was wrong..
The collection syncing is working normally in Canary channel and should be working fine in Dev too.
please use this page to view the sync status and their details so you will know if something is failing to sync: edge://sync-internals/

have a good one!

you are @HotCakeX right! i do have a backup. i just found the .json file. i copied it back... however i don't see the collections when i open edge... 

any ideas?

again = thank you so much!

best response confirmed by Mavi Etzyon-Grizer (Microsoft)
Solution
Oh, It could be because it's from another profile so it's not compatible, you can however open the file using Word or Notepad, it contains the data but in HTML/CSS format so it might be tricky..

Got it to work!!! @HotCakeX 

thank you! you are a life saver!

Microsoft must definitely work on this to make collection sharable to other edge profiles.
Also it would be helpful if a collection can have sub collections so that similar hierarchy of 'bookmark folder' can be included in collection for temporary working purpose. Vice a versa Collection (for URLs only) can have option to add as bookmark folder / subfolder

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mavi Etzyon-Grizer (Microsoft)
Solution
Oh, It could be because it's from another profile so it's not compatible, you can however open the file using Word or Notepad, it contains the data but in HTML/CSS format so it might be tricky..

View solution in original post