How will the new Chromium version of Edge be integrated with Windows 10

Copper Contributor

The current version of Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 is extremely secure and installed in its own kernal.  When it comes time to deploy the new chromium version and pull back the original Edge, how will this be done?

I'm speculating that it will be integrated with Build 2003, but would like to understand if the new version will be stand-alone or loaded in it's own kernal.

1 Reply

@EagleOne   I don't know.  It would make a lot of sense for MS to put Edge Chromium in a kernel.  I suspect that MS will do that, based on a somewhat related "tell" that I noticed the other day. 

As you probably know, Edge Classic will not open in "Run as Administrator" mode, and, as a result, does not grant inherited Administrator privileges to downloaded software.   Firefox and other 3rd-party browsers, in contrast, can be opened in Administrator mode. 

Edge Chromium can also be opened in "Run as Administrator" mode in current builds (I am running Dev 74.1.96.24 at present), but with a difference.  When Edge Chromium is opened in Administrator Mode, the user gets a pop-up "Administrator Mode Detected" warning, with instructions to close Edge Chromium and relaunch in non-administrator mode.

That suggests to me that MS is aware of the security risk and will probably lock down Edge Chromium as it locks down Edge Classic. 

I hope so, anyway.