How to (manually) "sync" ALL of your settings: Can we please make this automatic?

Iron Contributor

If you're like me, you run multiple channels on multiple devices and have adopted a custom configuration. To reduce the pain of either resetting or installing a new instance, I do the following manually: 

1) Launch the new instance initially, but immediately close so all of the old Edge bookmarks aren't imported automatically. (Can we please have a switch to turn off auto-import?) 

2) Relaunch, sign-in, and wait for everything to sync. 

3) Close and manually copy the following files to the ~/Local/..../Default folder of the new instance: 

- Cookies (I clear all cookies except for a handful I "Allow")

- Custom Dictionary (Sure look forward to a more robust spell-checker in Edge)

- Preferences (This file is key because of my tailored list of cookies that I Allow) 

4) Relaunch, review the settings, and get to work. Of course, if you use any Extensions, you'll need to manually set them up. I know this is in the road map, which I'm thankful for. 

Like all of us, we greatly appreciate the work the Edge Insider Team has done and continues to do. You all are remaking the face of Microsoft for us end users. We're beyond grateful, blown away might be a better description. 

If at all possible, could you please add these features as options to the road map? 

2 Replies

@Watney Thanks for that, wholeheartedly agree!

I installed Edge Canary (ARM version) yesterday, and I couldn't quite figure out why my Bookmarks had become such a freaking mess, and why somehow my login cookies were already present in Edge Canary, given that I had cleared all history and cookies before uninstalling the previous Edge Chromium version (32bit x86).

It sure looked a lot like cookies and bookmarks of the old Edge were imported, and mixed with my currently synced Edge Chromium bookmarks. Terrible..  

So yes, Microsoft, please provide a PROMPT about any imports happening when first launching a new install. Could have saved me a ton of time reorganizing everything. 

@ChromeRefugee (love your username!) Just follow my guide to manually get in business, unless it's too late. 

I'm also running the ARM-64. How amazing is this! So far so good. Only one crash when I paused Read Aloud in the middle proof reading an email with the Outlook (365) Web App, edited the text, and tried to restart reading. Saved by the Draft.