How to fix broken taskbar pins?

Iron Contributor

On one Surface, I have all four channels installed, stable, beta, dev, and canary.  When I open an instance, the taskbar tiles for stable and dev replace the pin.  For beta and canary, the new instance tile is created to the right of all the pins.  For all but dev, the context menu for the taskbar pin, with no instances open, lack the Recently closed list as well as the Tasks menu items, New window and New InPrivate window.  The entries in the Start menu app list is similar where all but dev are broken.

On another Surface, new instances for all four channels open a new tile in place of the pin.  On the same Surface the context menu for stable and beta lack the Recently closed and Tasks menu items.  Like the first Surface, the same context menu flaws are matched by the Start menu app list.

On a third Surface, all but the stable channel open a new instance in place of the pin. My memory is that stable had been working but broken only after today's update from 79 to 80 but my memory could be fuzzy.  The context menu for all four channels pinned to the taskbar is correct on this PC.  What is unique is that the context menu for the stable channel in the Start menu app list is broken but the other three work.  Also, this PC, and only this one, also has all four channels pinned to the Start menu.  These pins match the behavior of the app list where stable is broken but the other three are correct.

That the task instance tile behavior doesn't match the menu behavior suggests that these are two different bugs that are independent of one another.

I've reported these problems via the feedback tool multiple times.  It hasn't made a difference.

Anyone have an idea on how to get the broken instances working?

1 Reply

@rshupak I just confirmed on a second PC that hadn't yet updated from 79 to 80 that the taskbar tile was working correctly before the update and was broken after the update.  My memory was not faulty.