Brass Contributor

Saw several people asking for this; it's possible:

1. Go to edge://flags

2. search for #edge-follow-os-theme

3. Make sure your OS is set to dark mode in personalization settings

4. Restart edge

14 Replies

@vovchyk 

setting doesn't appear to follow the dark mode, is that normal at this point ? 

(using edge canary)

Awesome thank you. now if only they make the top window transparent just like the original Edge!
@rficasa I would say that since this is a preview, any weirdness is "normal" at this point. :)
We are aware of the limitations with our themes right now, and that is one of the first things that we are going to get completed. (see the coming soon section of the Welcome page: (https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/welcome). Thank you for your feedback, and please keep updating and offering your opinion on how we are doing.
Elliot

@Elliot Kirk

"Follow OS" should be the default, with options to switch to light or dark modes.   

This doesn't work quite the same as in Edge stable. For example, here is the MSA sign-in dialogue in Edge Stable and in Edge dev:
... as opposed to this in Edge stable:

@Noel Burgess   Thanks for the response, Neil.  I put Edge/dev in dark mode using the flag as soon as I downloaded it.   Sorry for the confusion - my comment went to how modes should work in the final product, rather than how they do work now.  Most users aren't going to want to set a flag to switch modes from default to something else.  The mode control should be a switch in Settings, Appearance, with "Follow OS" as the default, and options to pick either light or dark, depending on preference.  We'll see what Microsoft does as development moves along.

Does this mean that it will show in the normal settings instad of the flags page when this feature is fully tested?

@vovchyk 

> edge://flags, tpye Dark in the Search box & you're looking for this ⬇

Dark.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Sweet. Thanks!

@vovchyk 

BTW, for #2 can, also, just put Dark in the search box & what needs to enabled will appear.

Things like this that are asked & answered a few times... we should have a "How to" or "Tips" section or some FAQs.  Would be helpful to Folks, appreciated & save heaps of repetition.  A reference board of sorts.  ...just a thought :thought_balloon:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg