SOLVED

How soon is Edge expected to switch to Chromium 74?

Brass Contributor

Chrome 74 was released as stable 2 days ago with a bugfix for a feature I use frequently (F6 to select address bar).  I'd like to know how soon Edge Canary is expected to switch to being based on Chromium 74.

10 Replies
best response confirmed by joel0m (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@joel0m Take a look at About Microsoft Edge in Settings. We are on Chromium 75.

@NicolSD Hmm.  It appears the bug fix in Chrome didn't make its way into Edge then (which lead to my incorrect assumption that Edge was using a different number than the Chromium base versions).  I'll submit a bug report for Edge.  Thank you for your answer.

@joel0m 

What's the bug?

Having never before used F6 to select the address bar (I'm an Alt-D IE dinosaur), I tried it out in Canary. As far as I can see, the first press selects the tab, making it easy to select different tabs and their (sometimes hard to see) Close 'X.' A subsequent press selected the address bar.

@Noel Burgess F6 (like Alt-D I believe) has been a universal shortcut to select the address bar with one press since as long as I can remember (Windows XP).  It had the same function on IE, old Edge, Chrome, and Firefox on Windows and Linux.  Chrome 72 changed the behaviour to select the tabs first (like you describe current Edge Insider's behaviour), but the Chromium team agreed that the address bar should be first and changed the behaviour in Chrome 74.

In theory, I could switch to using Alt-D or pressing F6 twice, but it's hard to change a keyboard shortcut that I've been using daily for about 15 years.

@joel0m F4 also works, but it would be nice if we could customize our own shortcuts - not sure if that's possible

I always used F4 for this... I didn't knew about F6 or Alt-D...

@ambroseleung I did not know F4 did that too.  It looks like it's only for Microsoft browsers though unlike how F6 is/was universal.

@cbomtempo There's also Ctrl-L.  I'm not exactly sure why there are so many shortcuts to do the same thing.

@joel0m wrote:

@Noel Burgess F6 (like Alt-D I believe) has been a universal shortcut to select the address bar with one press since as long as I can remember ...

There we have it, I suppose. I've always used Alt-D, which I think goes back to the earliest days of IE before all these usurpers were invented. I can't really regard a change in behaviour from some other browser one might be used to as a bug. 

I suppose what we really need is a comprehensive list of currently-enabled keyboard shortcuts for this brilliant new browser:  again ... @Elliot Kirk or @Eric_Lawrence ?

Yes, this is a bug, still hasn't been fixed. Standard behavior, including keyboard shortcuts, is like other standards. There are a few shortcuts (closing tab/window, navigating between them, etc.) that should be the same and that other browser one might be used to is all other browsers people actually use, the browsers Edge wants to get users away from. It makes sense to have the same behavior there.
I especially consider it a bug, because the Chromium team that originated this design decision treated it as a bug and reverted it. It seems that Edge forked during the 2 Chromium versions that it was that way.

The lack of support for this age old, universal shortcut is the one thing that prevents me from using Edge as a daily driver.

Just because there are other ways to accomplish the same task, doesn't mean this way should be removed, especially since it doesn't seem to be an intentional decision by the Edge team.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by joel0m (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@joel0m Take a look at About Microsoft Edge in Settings. We are on Chromium 75.

View solution in original post