How do we set Edge Preview (Canary) as default via GPO?

Steel Contributor

We are trying to do some testing with our users and are finding it impossible to set Edge Preview (Canary) as the default browser. Our normal method is this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/set-the-default-browser-using-g... . However, that does not work here because the application has a different ProgId for every user!

How is it even doing that? 

For example, the ProgId for my user (regardless of the machine I am on) is 

MSEdgeSSHTM.NS7ER4I24GDDNBWOYEL3IQCRMQ

For a test user:

MSEdgeSSHTM.GHT3SBBSAAGTR47KQ5H5UTXHHQ

3 Replies

@Keith Davis 

Hi Keith & welcome,

Give this a try; works for me & should work for you, also. 
> Settings > Apps > Default apps. Scroll down to Web browser. Left Clk on the one showing & you will see a list of available choices.  Click on the one you want, Canary or other.  But, until, Edge C is, actually, our 'embedded' browser, via GPO may not be doable.  You may have to set each User machine as I have described above.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yes, we know the manual method works, but are looking for a way to do this via GPO (or scripted). Luckily it's only one user right now, but we will be rolling this out for test before Edge C is stable (or "embedded"), hope we can find a way to do this programmatically.

@Keith Davis 

Keith,

Someone from the Edge Team will, certainly, have more info on this than, I.  Submit the query HERE to have an E-mail reply & discussion with a specific MS person regarding the submitted topic or issue.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg