SOLVED

How do I remove Edge Canary version?

Copper Contributor

Multiple attempts to uninstall Edge Canary version. Per Task Manager, no MSEDGE.EXE is running.

1. I tried to uninstall in Settings / Apps - An error MessageBox is displayed: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."  I am Administrator. The title of the MessageBox is: "C:\users\MYUSERNAME\appdata\local\microsoft\edge SxS\application\86.0.615.0\installer\setup..."

2. In a "Run as Administrator" CMD.EXE window, I tried three commands:

• C:\users\MYUSERNAME\appdata\local\microsoft\"edge SxS"\application\86.0.615.0\installer\setup.exe --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level 
  • C:\users\MYUSERNAME\appdata\local\microsoft\"edge SxS"\application\86.0.615.0\installer\setup.exe --uninstall --force-uninstall
  • C:\users\MYUSERNAME\appdata\local\microsoft\"edge SxS"\application\86.0.615.0\installer\setup.exe --uninstall 

All three attempts yielded the following entry in "debug.log":
[0824/095402.325:ERROR:settings.cc(430)] Settings version is not 5

3. I tried to uninstall using Control Panel / Programs / Programs and features.  A MessageBox was displayed that says: "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Microsoft Edge Canary. Please contact you system administrator."   I am the administrator.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Mike Meinz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Solved my own problem.  I don't know why this worked. I discovered it my accident.

In Settings / Apps, I clicked on Edge Canary then clicked on Manage to see if it would do anything. That deleted the msedge_7z.data and debug.log files that were in the C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SXS\Application\86.0.615.0\Installer directory.  It may have done something else, too.

Then I clicked Uninstall and Edge Canary was uninstalled.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Meinz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Solved my own problem.  I don't know why this worked. I discovered it my accident.

In Settings / Apps, I clicked on Edge Canary then clicked on Manage to see if it would do anything. That deleted the msedge_7z.data and debug.log files that were in the C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SXS\Application\86.0.615.0\Installer directory.  It may have done something else, too.

Then I clicked Uninstall and Edge Canary was uninstalled.

View solution in original post