How about Base Sets for keyboard shortcuts that are further customizable?

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

The idea is very similar to what we have in some games. VSCode is similar, too, but not exactly what I mean here. Here's what I expect to have from the users' perspective:

1. Download the New Microsoft Edge using a (a) Microsoft Edge, (b) Mozilla Firefox, (c) Google Chrome, (d) Safari, ...
  2. On the first run, at the top of the initial welcome page, I see a fancy "Shortcuts for the browser has been set to match the ones in (a/b/c/d/...) for you to feel at home."
    1. Perhaps another line saying "Want to use the shortcut layout from another browser?" with a drop-down right next to it for me to choose.
    2. Perhaps one more saying "Or perhaps customize them altogether?" with a button to take me to the View/Edit Keyboard Shortcuts page in the Settings.

The difference of VSCode is at that it offers this via Extensions, which I think is too much of a hassle. Like this, it's more streamlined, offering more of a ready-to-go experience.

For this magic to happen, in the background and from the developer perspective, these needs implementing:

1. A framework in the background for editable keyboard shortcuts. This probably is already there.
  2. A front-end for users to edit the shortcuts.
  3. An extensive table of shortcut-assignable-functions vs major-browsers. Cells should contain which shortcut has been assigned to that function on that browser.
    1. One table per OS, as browsers have different features/shortcuts per OS most of the times.
  4. Installers for each column on those tables.
  5. Detect the OS (already here) and browser used for downloading. Set the HREF of the Download button to download the installer that defaults the base-shortcuts to the respective browser's shortcuts on that OS.

Sensible defaults. Editable to personal preference. Extendable via extensions. Best of every-single-world. You will win the hearts of a bunch with this.

If the browser used for downloading is not one that is explored, then fall back to Edge or Chrome or something.

25 Replies

@utkangezer 

It's likely things can & would be better addressed than by you ( or any other visitor) feeling they need to stay mum or away.  I do, still, hope something will change your mind & perception, in the near future & going forward.  One hopes good overshadows bad and things can be such that your experience won't continue to be tainted & the (bad) memory ebbs.  (Certainly) Not, ever, wanted or right for a any person to be driven to feeling like that.  I am sorry you do.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@utkangezer 

I'm a long time edge insider user, today i finally decided to create an account here because of a problem i am having with it and it's a great community with helpful suggestions, i have to admit it.
it took me few minutes to read this thread, great suggestions were brought up here also. I could definitely use some.
I have to agree on one thing, when you're encouraging others to be friendly, you have to practice it yourself as well. there are obviously differences of ideas and opinions and it's OK, it's fundamentally needed for every community to thrive. as a stranger who doesn't know anyone here personally, I felt that the word "hateful" is not suitable for this community, member @HotCakeX was showing you her alternative ways and pointed out reasonable facts. member @Drew1903 offered the same alternative way which is good and I personally have been utilizing it. @utkangezer things in internet forums can escalate quickly, it's the best to stay calm.

when I put myself as an edge developer who might review suggestions, i would like to know about pros and cons of a suggestion before integrating it into my project. @utkangezer mentioned the possible pros and @HotCakeX mentioned the possible cons. this is good and necessary. 

Have a good day/night everyone!

Jem

Glad to see people are passionate about ideas for Microsoft Edge!

As a reminder, while I know differences of opinion can be difficult, as long as they remain constructive, they are helpful for the team. 

Please respect differences of opinions without using words like "full of hate," which is a personal attack according to our community guidelines

@Eric StarkerOpinions are usually presented using "I think" language. Only a few (perhaps even none) of the oppositions to the suggestion was laid out using such a language. Instead, they were mostly (perhaps even always) asserted as if they were general, well-known, established facts; or as the opinion of every-single-person, but me.

My suggestion got deemed flat out "useless", my needs were called "special", my intents were derailed into a "question"… Truly, I felt attacked, as if an immense hatred was being channeled at me.

I am not sure what you were understanding with the phrase "full of hate", however it was nothing else but my critical thinking on the aggressive antagonism targeted at me. I think you might have misunderstood it as "I am full of hate", but no, it was a "your posts are full of hate". I have not felt anything but "sadness" here.

If getting the impression that someone is showing less of a criticism and more of a loathing against my suggestion, and then expressing this impression, is considered a personal attack, then I don't know what to say about this. On the contrary, I never intended to be an actor of an attack, but I rather felt like the target of a personal attack, especially when my daily workflow was ridiculed into something uncommon and "special". I literally was saying that I use some of those shortcuts constantly, and those opinions were nothing short of a "you are nobody", yelled at me.

I have unsubscribed from this discussion, for that the posted messages are now mostly off-topic. I apologize to whomever that may drop a message apposite to the suggestion, for that I will not see them and reply pronto.

Thank you for your time.

None of the things you mentioned here were my intentions or even true. but its alright, i can't control how others think, everyone is Free to Think however they want and i'm Not responsible for that, i'm only responsible for my actions and words and that alone.
again for the last time it was a normal technical debate and i still see No point in making any of it personal. there were no ridicules, no personal attacks, no yelling, no hate, nothing bad from my side.

it saddening for me when i see things get mixed up the way they're not supposed to.

We appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm closing off new replies to this conversation.