High CPU for Canary 79.0.297.0

Copper Contributor
The latest Canary build has the bug returning where the CPU would rise up to around 8-10% for Edge Canary no matter what site I go to, is this a confirmed issue for 79.0.297.0?
25 Replies

I investigated this further and it seems like the biggest issue is caused by the smartscreen filter which can be disabled in the setttings. Based on the logs I posted earlier, this component is spawning some 40 threads, so it's very likely that they're spinlocking or similar.

It doesn't completely fix the issue, for me edge still uses ~50% (logical) CPU on a fresh, idling instance. But this does fix CPU usage gradually going to 200+% and staying there.

Hi there, I have also same problem with my Edge Canary, I am using Version 79.0.299.0 and sitting on my mac, and my CPU is going up to 75 degreese, and my fan is loud as a jet, and i disabled smartscreen filter, and then it get down to like 57-58 degrees when I have some tabs up, and I tried with google Chrome and I have no problem with this. And I can have like some tabs up and get only like 50 degrees.

So pls fix this. its not fun to have a Jet computer at work.

@Primestar 

@Primestar wrote:

Hi there, I have also same problem with my Edge Canary, I am using Version 79.0.299.0 and sitting on my mac, and my CPU is going up to 75 degreese, and my fan is loud as a jet, and i disabled smartscreen filter, and then it get down to like 57-58 degrees when I have some tabs up, and I tried with google Chrome and I have no problem with this. And I can have like some tabs up and get only like 50 degrees.

So pls fix this. its not fun to have a Jet computer at work.

Hi,
please try disabling Microsoft Defender SmartScreen from the settings.

edge://settings/privacy

and see if it fixes the issue.

This looks to have been fixed as of Canary 79.0.307.0. SmartScreen inclusive.

Please mark the topic as solved if the problem is fixed. thanks

@Primestar 

"" We have a fix for high CPU on MacOS when Microsoft Defender SmartScreen is enabled! ""

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/we-have-a-fix-for-high-cpu-on-macos-when-microsof...