High CPU for Canary 79.0.297.0

Copper Contributor
The latest Canary build has the bug returning where the CPU would rise up to around 8-10% for Edge Canary no matter what site I go to, is this a confirmed issue for 79.0.297.0?
25 Replies
Hi,
what are your system specs?
Surface Pro 4, 4GB RAM, i5
With Windows 1809
Thanks,
you mentioned the bug "returned", does it mean you were experiencing this before too? if so do you remember which version was that?
I have i7 in PC and the average usage is around 5% (with 6 tabs and a youtube video open but paused). probably 5% on i7 is equal to 10% on i5.
(windows 10 2003 insider)
It was happening back in April/May. It was a known issue then and was fixed. Normally it's 0% when I have just Google open but now it's 8%,
I think the version then too was 76.0.162.0.
Oh, yes the early versions..well it's unfortunate that you're experiencing the high CPU usage again.
so it was all good until version 79.0.294.0 Canary (the previous version) and you only started seeing high CPU usage after updating to version 79.0.297.0, right?
Correct, only since 79.0.297.0. When idle on Google or Bing it doesn't ever go below 7%.

@acermark 

when the high CPU usage occurs, can you please go to the browser task manager and post a screenshot of it in here?

Annotation 2019-10-08 141020.png

@acermark 

Thanks,

here is how it looks like on mine

Annotation 2019-10-08 143230.png

so I assume in Your screenshot, the first process belongs to the Browser itself, then below it is GPU process and Network service utility.

looks like GPU process is using more CPU than browser itself!

could you test it again with hardware acceleration turned off?

edge://settings/system

Same bug here, Surface Pro 6. CPU and GPU usage doing nothing. Exactly the same situation as OP. Also a returning bug from an older version.
I hope 79.0.298.0 will fix it!

This is still happening in 79.0.298.0. Here's a sample of the process too: https://pastebin.com/mk7q3ivt

Thanks, will be switching to Dev for the moment.

Hopefully future Dev releases won't get the same bug (as what happened last time)

@acermark Unfortunately the current dev build also has the same issue :\

**bleep** will have to go to Beta!

But it does seem now that it was an issue going back to Canary 79.0.294.0 but somehow not picked up on. Actually I only first noticed this bug when my Surface Pro 4 was unusually warm while using Canary.

@acermark 

@acermark wrote:
**bleep** will have to go to Beta!

But it does seem now that it was an issue going back to Canary 79.0.294.0 but somehow not picked up on. Actually I only first noticed this bug when my Surface Pro 4 was unusually warm while using Canary.

Surface tablets get hot even by these tiny 5% or 10% CPU usages?

another sign that tablets ain't for me xD

Well, they have to expel that heat. That's why they feel warm. It's normal, they are using 15 watts processors, and this bug is using a lot more GPU than CPU anyway, so it's far from "tiny" in term of the total TDP. But the main problem is not the heat, it's the battery life. Processors are made to be off a much as possible to conserve battery life.