HEVC video decoding broken with B-frames

Brass Contributor

When Edge Chromium playing HEVC video, sometimes video will be similar to stuttering but audio is normal.

To find out the cause of the problem, I test to playback many HEVC video, include videos with and without B-frames. Finally found that only the video with B-frames had problems.

Play HEVC video with B-frames frame by frame, after decoding and outputting a B-frame, the next frame will return to the referenced I-frame or P-frame.

It is puzzling that in Edge Legacy, HEVC video with B-frames plays normally.

So what happened in Edge Chromium?

84 Replies
What do you meam by that, you got a reponse?
i actually have the HVEC codec (yes i have paid it and the video player of microsoft read it perfectly), but the stuttering remain in edge.

@Deleted if you add you email you are warned on the report change

image.png

That's good to know, i assume if it's getting fixed we will see it first in canary
Yeah, it does that for every feedback that they received it. If you get a reponse for your feedback or workig on it. Means they are working on it and investigating
Well it used to be under a flag but that is no more around :(
They remove expired flags, but there are flags that will bring back expired flags, for a limited time
e.g.
edge://flags/#temporary-unexpire-flags-m86
edge://flags/#temporary-unexpire-flags-m87

Keep us updated and lets hope they will pick up the issue. Otherwise I have to compile Chromium myself with the HEVC coded enabled. But that is a pain.

Edit: I totally didn't see the second page. My bad lol

Please share it with us if/when you do that :D

If it won't get fixed and I manage and have time trying to do that I will :D

Okay, cool!!

Do other browsers work with this HVEC? I dont' see much of this HVEC around, why do you guys want this so badly?

Yes, I willl send followup if someone responds.
https://aka.ms/AAay0o0

If anyone wants to upvote this feedback in feedbackhub since maybe windows team needs to get involved.
Because HEVC is super optimized, less file size, higher quality

@Deleted 

Here you can see the browser support, other than Edge only Safari supports it

https://caniuse.com/hevc

HEVC is around a lot. Its just not as popular on webpages because a lot of browsers don't support it. A lot of the video's I own are in HEVC. It is the successor to h264 and the file sizes can be smaller compared to h264 at the same visual quality.

I don't have access to the feedback : (

That error means your Microsoft account is not registered in Windows insider program.
non-insiders can't view insider feedbacks, and Vice Versa.
Oh I didn't know that. Thank you for explaining.
You're welcome!
Sorry guys, I dont' ahve a insdier built to send to you guys> :(