HEVC MP4 support missing

Copper Contributor

I'm currently on Version 82.0.439.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and hevc support seems to have disappeared.  I was using MediaSource.isTypeSupported('video/mp4; codecs="hvc1"') to test for HEVC support and it returns flase on Edge Chromium but it returns true on Edge Classic on the same computer.

Also, checking https://html5test.com/ Edge Chromium doesnt show support for h265, but Edge Classic does.

If I play an HEVC file directly by just sticking it in the address bar both Edge Chromium and Edge Classic play it fine.   

It seems like something broke related to codec support detection, but not actual playback.  Can you throw this on the pile to get fixed at some point?

Thanks

4 Replies
I have the same experience on Edge canary 82.
they should add MKV (The Matroska Multimedia Container) support to the Edge too, it's free and open source and preferred video format/container for all the new media files in the past few years,
Re: HEVC MP4 support missing
Yes MKV format should be supported too.
I'm on Version 89.0.774.50 (Official build) (64-bit)
And still the same behavior.
MP4 HEVC files could be played in a browser, trough the HTML5 Video tag.
But not possible to be loaded in MediaSource.
MediaSource still reports "video/mp4; codecs="hvc1"" is not supported.

@PetarVutov 

It it interesting that right now "buffer = mediaSource.addSourceBuffer('video/mp4; codecs="hvc1.1.6.H150.90"');" doesn't throw an exception.
It can even be added a single buffer via "buffer.appendBuffer(frame.data);".
But after that buffer goes to readyStates of: 'open', 'ended', 'closed' and are called events 'updatestart', 'error', 'updateend', 'sourceended' and 'sourceclose'.
Relations between events and readyState are:
'updatestart' : 'open',
'error' : 'ended',
'updateend' : 'ended',
'sourceended' : 'ended',
'sourceclose' : 'closed'

Does anyone have a different experience. It could be something from my implementation, although it is working fine with MP4 AVC files.