Have feedback on the memory/CPU usage on Edge? We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

My name is Allison and I am a PM working on improving the performance of the new Microsoft Edge browser.

Previously, your feedback let us know that there are times when Edge uses too much memory and CPU. When was the last time this happened to you? What were you doing in this situation? What was your biggest concern about that amount of memory and CPU usage? We are curious about this and would love to learn more.

Thank you for giving us your honest feedback. I look forward to hearing more about where you see Microsoft Edge meeting your expectations, and where it isn’t.

Allison

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

61 Replies

Hi @Allison_Pastewka,

I'm quite satisfied with the Chromium powered Edge. Of course there are always points to improve upon. One of them is your implementation of support for Java applets through embedded Internet Explorer. We have a legacy Oracle Forms application running on Java. When I start it using Edge, a constant GPU load is visible in the browser task manager, even when idle. When I start it using Internet Explorer, there's no GPU load.

When was the last time this happened to you?

Today. Screenshots before and after I started the Java applet:

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).pngMicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

What were you doing in this situation?

I actually just left the machine idle just to monitor the Edge task manager, as well as the builtin Windows task manager.

What was your biggest concern about that amount of memory and CPU usage?

I rely heavily on my laptop's battery, especially since corona forces us all to work from home. I just don't have power outlets at every location in my apartment.

Dear Allison, I've also noticed that installing websites as apps is detrimental to GPU usage. When I just open them in Edge tabs, there's no problem. - When was the last time this happened to you? Yesterday. - What were you doing in this situation? Busy in SQL Developer. - What was your biggest concern about that amount of memory and CPU usage? Battery usage. I need to be able to conserve battery.

@Allison_Pastewka 

After a few months with Edge Version 83.0.478.45 (Official build) (64-bit) as my default browser I have to say this about memory:

Open pages 1 on each profile. As Firefox hasn't profiles, open pages 2. All open pages are welcome pages.

Memory

Slimjet 110.8 MB
Firefox 302.7 MB
Edge 328.4 MB

Windows 10 home 1909
RAM 8.00 GB
64-bit

@Allison_Pastewka  normally, when I see performance issue, I will investigate with Process Explorer and Task Manager and send feedback. I normally observed such a case when a website is dealing with GPU or calling several methods.

I generally what to have a feature to investigate this easily. For example, we have Browser Task Manager which is very helpful and I hope to have more options and tools to be able to perform in depth investigation and also feature in Microsoft Edge like we could run profiler and it collect websites and their usage of CPU, Memory and GPU.

@Allison_Pastewka 

Additional to my note from yesterday, I send these from browsers task managers:

@Allison_Pastewka  @Reza_Ameri-Archived  @HotCakeX 

Please make MS Edge energy-efficient. I am running MS Edge Version 85.0.538.0.

@Kam improving performance is exactly what Microsoft Edge teams are doing.

They are reviewing log files , feedbacks, reports, ... and try to improve performance in Microsoft Edge.

@Allison_Pastewka 

I've said this in this very forum (one of them on 8/31/19: "I've tried several browsers. I would recommend that you take a look at how Slimjet manages memory. I have found that Slimjet is the chromium browser that has the least impact on memory".). You said (Reza Ameri), "and try to improve performance in Microsoft Edge, That's very good. But, perhaps, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. There are others browsers out there that you can look into, Slimjet is one of them.

Why its only CPU/memory and why not GPU on your performance list. edge://surf cosumes lot of GPU 50% GPU on my amd where it should barely consume 5%.
It consumes whopping 100% CPU and 200MB RAM at startup freezing my all other running applications. Totally dislike it. And I don't ever use cast, I don't like to see it on the context menu.

Edge applications (Menu -> Apps -> Install this site as an app) seems to always consume more CPU than it should. Like, easily 5% CPU usage (i7-8665u), just by idling in the background.

Chrome with 10+ open tabs consumes less CPU. At least as many extensions installed in Chrome as well.

Is this a known issue/ a pattern others observe as well?

@Allison_Pastewka 

This is another comparison with one open page each:

@Allison_Pastewka 

By the way, I want you to know that I have Edge as my default browser. My only interest in participating in this community is that there is always room for improvement.

Thanks.

@Allison_Pastewka 

This is another test with Edge Canary one open page in each one. Firefox and Slimjet.

Yeah that spam was mad.

@HotCakeX 

Don´t know what are you referring to but, if you call spam trying to let know Allison Pastewka, who by the way hasn't answer to any, that there is room for improvement in the impact of Edge in resources, then mad spam it is.

@josegime47 
There is nothing wrong in that , indeed.
But after you initially let them know and haven't received a reply, continuously poking new messages on the same issue (which again hasn't been addressed yet) is plainly spamming your issue to carve attention upon it. 
Not nice behaviour on a platform where many users exist.

I personally started to be bothered by it as you also spammed my email Inbox with those things.
So please be more considered of us, the other users who are interested in this topic and are following the progression, as well.

Thank you