Great news: Microsoft Edge becomes second largest desktop browser!

Bronze Contributor

Great news for Edge team and fellow Insiders,

Microsoft Edge becomes second largest Desktop browser surpassing Mozilla Firefox!

Though the difference between the share of Edge and Firefox is not much, this is just a start for the team & the insiders!

Congratulations Edge Team!

Ooh, check the report for the month of March yourself!

Desktop Browser Market Share- netmarketshare.com 

9 Replies
Microsoft Edge is edging out the competition against other browsers.
The share increase is only for Desktop platform.

@Rohit Yadav wrote:
The share increase is only for Desktop platform.

I know but Edge is a multi platform browser for desktop/tablets/mobile. so when comparing, should remove all the filters to see the true stats.

an increase on desktop can mean anything, maybe Windows update that automatically installs new Edge stable on Windows 10 computers caused that, and Edge browser which is installed through Windows update can't be uninstalled.

@Rohit Yadav 

Mobile Edge is on page 2 of the mobile results. With the need to sync phones and laptops, I don't think Edge is going to have a chance of becoming a major player unless and until they can make inroads into the mobile market.

@HotCakeX Comparing the share on Desktoo/Tablet/Mobile separately makes sense. Atleast we know that people are preferring Edge over other browsers. 

It's not that they collect the share just by the browser being installed on a device, they have a network where the user actually access the site from the browser for that to be counted. 

Read this: https://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx

As they introduce the features on mobile, we hope that the share increases on mobile as well, plus the availability of additonal sync options will make people switch to it.  

@Rohit Yadav 

Spoiler

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

@HotCakeX Comparing the share on Desktoo/Tablet/Mobile separately makes sense. Atleast we know that people are preferring Edge over other browsers. 

It's not that they collect the share just by the browser being installed on a device, they have a network where the user actually access the site from the browser for that to be counted. 

Read this: https://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx

As they introduce the features on mobile, we hope that the share increases on mobile as well, plus the availability of additonal sync options will make people switch to it.  

The features are already introduced on Edge Android, and for multi platform browser it totally makes sense to count the stats from all platforms.

I know they don't have access to each consumer device, that's obvious, how can they!

but the fact that Windows update installed the new Edge over Edge legacy without an option to remove it plays a big role too.

What features are already introduced? Collections, for example, isn't there. I mean, even the sync isn't complete yet.

@YgorCortes 

@YgorCortes wrote:
What features are already introduced?

Tracking prevention, NTP settings, PWA installation, Reading mode.