GPO - Please Allow selective clear browsing data on close

Brass Contributor

When the group policy setting "Clear browsing data when Microsoft Edge closes" is enabled, it's not possible to specify what has to be cleared. All options are enabled.

clipboard_image_1.png

is it possible to change that group policy in order to allow to choose items to clear ?

Kind regards,

Michel

5 Replies

I also found that these settings are store in preference file under :C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data\Default

"clear_data":{"on_exit_succeeded":false},"clear_data_on_exit":{"browsing_history":true,"cache":true,"cookies":true,"download_history":true,"form_data":true,"hosted_apps_data":true,"passwords":true,"site_settings":true},

Is it possible to preset this setting using master_preference. What is the syntax ?

@Le_Michel Hi there, we are currently looking to update this policy to allow for more granular controls. Can you give an example of how you would like to manage this policy? Is there a specific data type you are currently looking to enable? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

@ShirleyNg 

Don't want to hi-jack this thread but I would like a way to be able to specify a list of cookies to retain on close and clear all others. See the way CCleaner supports this feature for additional details

@ShirleyNg Hi Shirley. 

What we would like to do is be able to force the clear of "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files" while preserving browsing and download history.

Did you ever make the controls for this policy more granular ?
when I set the Clear Browsing data on close Group Policy I have no way of changing the passwords options so users do not lose the saved passwords on every close

The only granular policies I can see are
Clear cached images and files when Microsoft Edge Closes
&
Clear browsing data when Microsoft Edge Closes

I dont see any other Group policies for the other granular settings (specfically passwords),.