Good News: Google is finally killing off Chrome apps, End support for NaCl, PNaCl, and PPAPI APIs

MVP

Google said Wednesday that it will begin to phase out traditional Chrome apps starting in June, and winding down slowly over two years’ time. Chrome extensions, though, will live on.

This is good, because the new Chromium based Microsoft Edge isn't compatible with Chrome apps which are basically the same as Chromium extensions.

so with this update, Microsoft won't be needing to add any compatibility for those apps.

With this continued progress, we are expanding upon our earlier announcement and will begin phasing out support for Chrome Apps across all operating systems as follows:

• March 2020: Chrome Web Store will stop accepting new Chrome Apps. Developers will be able to update existing Chrome Apps through June 2022.

• June 2020: End support for Chrome Apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise and Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through December 2020.

• December 2020: End support for Chrome Apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

• June 2021: End support for NaCl, PNaCl, and PPAPI APIs.

• June 2021: End support for Chrome Apps on Chrome OS. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise and Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through June 2022.

• June 2022: End support for Chrome Apps on Chrome OS for all customers.

Also end of support for NaCL, PNaCL and PPAPI, are all good news for everyone.

They are all Google-specific technologies. most of the stuff built upon them only require Google chrome browser. removing them also removes that restriction and makes everyone happy.

Cheers everyone!

Source

4 Replies

@HotCakeX So, this is good or bad? For me it is bad! I'm a user and I need extensions to perform work. 

@Khan_Hassan

Spoiler

@Khan_Hassan wrote:

@HotCakeX So, this is good or bad? For me it is bad! I'm a user and I need extensions to perform work. 

The posts says extensions are unaffected.

doesn't matter if apps aren't supported in Edge, they are soon being removed from Chrome too, by Google.

I would have to strongly disagree, they are removing chrome apps not replacing it, and "Microsoft won't be needing to add any compatibility for those apps." is NOT an upside as they are rempoving it not making it cross compatible. I personnaly am disapointed by this as Flash-player replacments, like Flash, are Apps not extentions, which renders all of the old flash items unusable as there would be nothing to run them.
There are better ways and technologies for them, you can research about them.