Fullscreen Dropdown doesn't have a close and minimize button

Iron Contributor

Screenshot (431).png

The Enable Fullscreen Dropdown button is a very good feature but lacks certain improvements which needs to be published. Every time when I want to close the browser when it is already full screen, I first had to toggle fullscreen. Then I had to close the browser. Also there is no minimize button, both these features were there in edge classic. Kindly add these.

Screenshot (434).png

Also when certain HTML elements such as video elements or frames are made fullscreen using the attribute fullscreen, the fullscreen dropdown doesn't appear instead traditional circled x appears. Such as when youtube videos are made full screen using fullscreen button on videos, the dropdown doesn't appear. Kindly make these minimize and close button available in fullscreen dropdown. These too was present in edge legacy.

Screenshot (435).png

Lastly, the fullscreen dowpdown activation area in fullscreen mode and pdf toolbar activation area in fullscreen mode coincide, which makes it impossible to use pdf toolbar in fullscreen mode when using dropdown. This too was present in edge legacy.

11 Replies

@sauravyad500 

Hi,
Which Edge channel/version are you using?

have you enabled this flag?

edge://flags/#edge-enable-shy-ui

when switching to fullscreen, the browser says how to exit fullscreen

fgdfds.png

the YouTube fullscreen mode is different than Edge's built in full screen mode.

they can't be the same.

because you can already be in fullscreen mode in Edge, then go to YouTube and use the fullscreen button on video player to maximize it. so there are 2 different and distinct modes.

when you exit fullscreen mode from a YouTube video, Edge will still be in fullscreen mode of its own.

@HotCakeX Sorry but I had mentioned that I am using fullscreen dropdown already. I am using Edge Canary.

1. edge://flags/#edge-enable-shy-ui is already enabled. I posted the screenshot.
  2. I was talking of closing the browser and not the fullscreen. I had mentioned it.
  3. Youtube and edge fullscreen are different only in Edge Chromium not in legacy. In edge legacy youtube video play in dropdown fullscreen mode.
  4. Both fullscreen modes can be same, simply override the player's fullscreen mode with built-in fullscreen mode keeping the size same. Enabling of the flag should override the player's fullscreen mode too.Screenshot (437).png
  5. Minimize, toggle fullscreen and close button must be available in fullscreen dropdown as opposed to currently being only toggle button.
you didn't mention the channel that's why I asked.
Yes they are different from Edge legacy, there is no need to be the same.
like I said, when I'm in full screen mode in Edge and also in YouTube video and then I exist the video, i don't want Edge full screen mode to be existed with it.
they don't need to be the same. it would add a redundant step.
if minimize or close button were available in full screen mode then it would be just the normal mode.

@HotCakeX 

if minimize or close button were available in full screen mode then it would be just the normal mode.

Minimize and close button with the toggle button doesn't make it a normal mode. Its fullscreen mode. Have a look a how your edge legacy or films and tv or better any uwp app looks like in fullscreen mode or in the screenshot I posted.

There is a difference between normal mode and fullscreen mode the way it is in Edge legacy. It is more suitable, if you want to toggle fullscreen, click the middle button among the three.Screenshot (437).png. If you want to close the browser directly from fullscreen mode you can which you can't do directly without clicking on close browser button in menu or right-clicking. Its not a redundant feature but more suitable one. In normal mode the middle button is maximize button not toggle fullscreen.

@sauravyad500 

Spoiler

@sauravyad500 wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Minimize and close button with the toggle button doesn't make it a normal mode. Its fullscreen mode. Have a look a how your edge legacy or films and tv or better any uwp app looks like in fullscreen mode or in the screenshot I posted.

There is a difference between normal mode and fullscreen mode the way it is in Edge legacy. It is more suitable, if you want to toggle fullscreen, click the middle button among the three.Screenshot (437).png. If you want to close the browser directly from fullscreen mode you can which you can't do directly without clicking on close browser button in menu or right-clicking. Its not a redundant feature but more suitable one. In normal mode the middle button is maximize button not toggle fullscreen.

Yeah, okay but still,

the full screen mode from YouTube video and the one in Edge are different from Edge legacy, there is no need for them to be the same.
when I'm already in full screen mode in Edge (drop down) and also in YouTube video, and then I exit the full screen video, i don't want Edge full screen mode (drop down) to be exited with it.
it would just add a redundant step, because I would have to switch back to full screen mode in Edge (drop down) to continue browsing the same way that I was.

I might be redundant from your perspective but not from mine. There should be a flag to activate those.

@sauravyad500 

Spoiler

@sauravyad500 wrote:
I might be redundant from your perspective but not from mine. There should be a flag to activate those.

Flags are temporary for experiments.

it's not my perspective, it's just how it is.

by redundant I mean extra unnecessary step that will be added and needed to do if video full screen and Edge full screen were the same.

@Deleted Kindly take a look at it.

@sauravyad500 Thanks for the feedback. This actually prompted an internal discussion, and our team is investigating possibilities right now!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Oh, I would appreciate a minimize/close button very much too, accompanied with the ability to start Edge in fullscreen mode, e.g. by Edge recognizing the last state it was in when closed (fullscreen/non fullscreen). That would improve my workflow enormously as I always use fullscreen on tablets. 

Btw, if you're talking to the "shy UI team", could you be so kind to mention that there's still no way to invoke the shy UI by touch, meaning it can't be swiped in on a touch device (only if a mouse is attached). Can you please find out if this feature is currently planned or worked on, would be great to know if we can look forward to this within the next weeks/months. 

Thanks and best regards

Neon01

@Neon01 Great, thanks for your input. I passed this along!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge