Force webpage to always open in Edge mode (not IE)

Copper Contributor

Dear Experts,

I have a website in sharepoint. The company policy sets all sharepoint pages to open using Edge's IE mode. I don't have rights to change the edge policy.

Is there any way to force my website to open in edge mode (not IE mode) overcoming the edge policy?

PS: I do not have admin rights and my website does not support IE

Thank You

Ng Kock Leong

6 Replies
Hi,

It seems that your PC is an AD or AAD joined corporate PC, and there are GPOs applied to it. If this is true, then there is no way to override it since policies applied by GPO has the highest priority.

By the way, recent SharePoint versions should support modern browsers unless your company is using an outdated version.

Regards,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your answer. Yap it's AD joined corporate PC. Probably the sharepoint version is not the recent version.

I'm just wondering if there is any MS edge installed program (eg msedge.exe) that run only edge mode? If so, maybe I can create a shortcut using that program

Thanks again

@drago888 I don't think there is another version of msedge.exe that you can call. Even if you install another channel of Edge side by side (e.g. Edge Beta) it will still apply the policies.

If you want, you can install Firefox to your profile, which does not require admin permission if you cancel the Windows UAC prompt:

TIL: You can install/update Firefox with plain user privileges: firefox (reddit.com)

If you still want to use Edge, I think you can only ask your IT to update the policy.

P.S. You can check the applied policies by going to this URL: edge://policy

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your assistance... I don't think installing Chrome/Firefox is viable. As that will mean all the users will need to apply for Chrome to be installed and thus will require a request to be raised to install Chrome and need security team to approve.

Guess I have to change the codes to IE then... Thus IE mode will be permanent for Edge?

@drago888 If it is not only you that need to access the specific page, you can only ask your IT to update the Enterprise Mode Site List since it is too time-consuming to install for all users (and ask for approval) as you stated.

IE mode, according to Microsoft, is NOT provided forever ("permanent"). However, they only say IE mode will be supported "at least through 2029" AND depends on the Windows lifetime. That means a particular Windows platform's lifetime will also limit the IE mode's lifetime.

Read more about the EOL of IE mode here: Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ - Microsoft Tech Community (Search for "How long will IE mode be supported")

Regards

Ken

Thanks... I don't understand why there is a need to create an IE mode when they can just continue using 2 browsers and let user select which browser to use.