Force a collections sync

Copper Contributor

As sync was off for a while, I've ended up with collections on two different machines, and I'm looking for a way to force one of these to be the master list and to sync across to my other machines. If I rename a collection an empty copy gets synced but not the content, and likewise if I edit a link in a collection that then will sync just that link. New collections are synced, just those created before. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

18 Replies
Hi,
you can force sync by going to here: edge://sync-internals/
and then click on "Trigger GetUpdates" button
it will sync everything, including collections.

do it on both machines

Hi @HotCakeX 

I've done it on both machines but no change, so I disabled the sync on the secondary machine and cleared down my data then ran the sync on both again and whilst it says its done there are no collections showing on the secondary machine. 

Collection sync has delays, that's what i experienced

@HotCakeX 

How long is the delay?  I have been waiting for my collection to sync since 1/9.  When I look at the Sync-internals page it shows 0 Collections when there should be 1.  This is on both the machine I have started the Collection on and my laptop.  

I don't remember, I think it took it 2 days to bring my old collections back.
Edge insider is really slow when you install it fresh on Windows.
for the first few days, it doesn't even show the bing daily pictures on the NTP.

i think it's all related, Microsoft should improve the experience and make things faster when you install Edge on Windows for the first time.

@HotCakeX 

These are not fresh installs.  I've sent feedback to the Edge team so hopefully they can get this fixed.  I'm finding collections is a useful tool.  

Yeah I have a few use cases for collections too but still it's in its infancy

They sync feature for collections doesn't work correctly right now. When I was at work (Windows 7 version), I added something to a collection. Then when I got home (Windows 10 version), it wasn't there. I had to close and reopen the browser for it to show up. I tried the same thing in reverse. I added something at home, and it wasn't there at work.

When I contacted support, they said it won't work unless I log out of one before I use the other. Why on earth would that be necessary? If I add something on one computer, it should just be there on the other when I get back to it. I'd understand a delay of a few minutes, but to require you to log out or close the browser is kinda lame, tbh.

Yeah that's a very redundant action tbh

I've tried all that as well, and there are times when I'm looking at both machines and I can see some changes (or additions) to collections actually sync in near realtime.

Running the sync-internals command both machines show 69 entities for collections, but the second machine (which has had the profile signed out, machine restarted etc) shows 1 collection now with the title of Syncing... and its been like that for hours today, there is only 1 site in the collection it it attempting to sync.

This feature needs a lot more work to get right.

Noticed there was an update yesterday. Haven't tested yet. I've added something to a collection at work. Will see if the update works and the item synced properly when I get home tonight and vice versa tomorrow when I get back to work.

Thank you, all! I've looped in our Collections Team and will let you know if they have additional questions or insights.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Collections were properly synced when I got home. Testing the reverse and will let you know how it goes in the morning.

Tested on all 3 of my PCs [Dev Channel] (home desktop [win 10], surface book 2 [win 10], and work [win 7]). They all synced perfectly! Thank you!

Now if I could just see them on Edge Mobile :)

Glad to hear it, @Sillvva!

@Timothy Merridew, are you still experiencing issues with sync?

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted on the whole I would say this is working as expected now. Some of the collections I'd previously built up and had tried to get things working against ended up with the wrong name (sync...) but those were a quick fix and clean up.

Tests since this last update do appear to be correctly syncing everything across all my machines. Just need them to add support for collection sync onto Edge on Android :)

Tim

@Timothy Merridew Great, we're glad to hear it! Let us know if you encounter any other issues with it.

Fawkes (they/them)

Collections Sync has been working great!  Thanks.