SOLVED

[FIXED] Read Aloud's voice appears in the Global Media Controls

MVP

Annotation 2019-12-02 233406.png

When Read Aloud is reading something, its audio track shows up in the Global Media Control panel, but it's missing a proper thumbnail and its name is "chrome-extension://....." which doesn't look useful for user

16 Replies

@HotCakeX I am assuming that's to sync with Windows Media controls. This would be useful when Bluetooth headphones are connected so that the headphones can control the playback. 

They are distracting and strange, they have weird names and no thumbnail. in their current state they are not very useful.
I don't think they should keep it like that only for the super small portion of users that use wireless handsfree bluetooth headsets on their PCs/laptops.

@HotCakeX  I think this feature would be useful, but not like in this current form, It should be improved.

It's quite useful to many people who don't use wireless headphones as well. They can control playback without actually going to the tab or even browser. While this feature should be improved, your reason that only a small number of people use it is not good. Especially since edge is a minor browser with few users. They can't really look at their few users and make feature removals. They are not Google. Or at least, they shouldn't. Also, most people don't care and aren't bothered by it. So your grievance falls to your own justification. Your other criticisms are fair.

@Alexei_Drekker 

Spoiler

@Alexei_Drekker wrote:
It's quite useful to many people who don't use wireless headphones as well. They can control playback without actually going to the tab or even browser. While this feature should be improved, your reason that only a small number of people use it is not good. Especially since edge is a minor browser with few users. They can't really look at their few users and make feature removals. They are not Google. Or at least, they shouldn't. Also, most people don't care and aren't bothered by it. So your grievance falls to your own justification. Your other criticisms are fair.

Okay But i was only talking about those who do use Bluetooth headsets/earbuds on PCs/laptops, and that was because you yourself mentioned it, so I don't think it's good idea to call my comment unfair or misjudging.. etc.

I went on and edited my original post to clarify that the problem with it is it doesn't have a proper icon/thumbnail and it's name needs improvements

@HotCakeX Okay. You appear to have misunderstood my words. You were saying it was redundant and useless which meant that it did not need to be there. I mentioned a use-case that I was afraid would break because of its removal. I never said it was the only use-case and I incorrectly assumed the other use-case I did not feel the need to be mentioned would be considered as well since that is not exclusive to "Read Aloud". It was only your reasoning that a few users use it and so, its removal would not make a difference that I was against. It's a very "Google" way of thinking and I am against such a philosophy, which is why I said it. That is all. I never called your entire criticism unfair. Only that aspect of it and your original post was worded that way which is why I responded as such. Your new post is perfectly in line with my views on the matter now and I agree.

Also, "Global Media Controls" appears to be a feature flag, which means it isn't actually complete, but its incompleteness does not appear to be a reason because Legacy Edge does not actually have anything in its media controls listed as well and is a lot more confusing. Hopefully Chromium Edge will improve this feature and not leave it as it is as Legacy Edge did for so many years. (Check attached screenshot.)

clipboard_image_0.png

@Alexei_Drekker 

Spoiler

@Alexei_Drekker wrote:

@HotCakeX Okay. You appear to have misunderstood my words. You were saying it was redundant and useless which meant that it did not need to be there. I mentioned a use-case that I was afraid would break because of its removal. I never said it was the only use-case and I incorrectly assumed the other use-case I did not feel the need to be mentioned would be considered as well since that is not exclusive to "Read Aloud". It was only your reasoning that a few users use it and so, its removal would not make a difference that I was against. It's a very "Google" way of thinking and I am against such a philosophy, which is why I said it. That is all. I never called your entire criticism unfair. Only that aspect of it and your original post was worded that way which is why I responded as such. Your new post is perfectly in line with my views on the matter now and I agree.

Also, "Global Media Controls" appears to be a feature flag, which means it isn't actually complete, but its incompleteness does not appear to be a reason because Legacy Edge does not actually have anything in its media controls listed as well and is a lot more confusing. Hopefully Chromium Edge will improve this feature and not leave it as it is as Legacy Edge did for so many years. (Check attached screenshot.)

clipboard_image_0.png

for the 3rd time, I only said there weren't many users using bluetooth headphones/earbuds on PCs/laptops. period

nothing else.

I can repeat it 1000 more times if you want :)

@Alexei_Drekker 

no comment edits

gfdgfdg.png

I don't even want it to be removed, I just want it to change to have a thumbnail, like how YouTube videos get a thumbnail in the global media control panel and also a proper name instead of "chrome-extension://..."

@HotCakeX Your own words mean exactly that. "I don't think they should keep it like that for the super small portion........" There would be no point in bringing the number of users into this discussion if you did not mean that breaking this feature would not matter. If you meant that it should be improved, then there would be no need to bring in the number of users using this feature, would there. What other context would this data point make sense in? It certainly has nothing to do with improving the feature since improving it would have no bearing on the "super small portion of users that use wireless handsfree bluetooth headsets" since we will still be able to use it regardless. Your original post contained the words redundant, which, by its definition in the English Language, means that there is no longer any need for it to show up in the global media controls feature flags in the context, which isn't about improving it. That's what "redundant" meant in the context you used it in.

Also, why are you so defensive about this? We are being perfectly civil here and I already agreed with your edited post. The fact that you edited it should also be indicative of our overall agreement on the matter. You keep trying to alter the narrative of your original words. Your initial post coupled with your response to my counter-point led me to believe what I did. Your edited post would not have had this interpretation. Can we please drop this? I thought we had already come to an amicable resolution regarding this specific matter. If you wish to discuss more about this feature and how it can be improved, I am interested and will engage in good faith. 

@Alexei_Drekker 

@Alexei_Drekker wrote:

@HotCakeX Your own words mean exactly that. "I don't think they should keep it like that for the super small portion........" There would be no point in bringing the number of users into this discussion if you did not mean that breaking this feature would not matter. If you meant that it should be improved, then there would be no need to bring in the number of users using this feature, would there. What other context would this data point make sense in? It certainly has nothing to do with improving the feature since improving it would have no bearing on the "super small portion of users that use wireless handsfree bluetooth headsets" since we will still be able to use it regardless. Your original post contained the words redundant, which, by its definition in the English Language, means that there is no longer any need for it to show up in the global media controls feature flags in the context, which isn't about improving it. That's what "redundant" meant in the context you used it in.

Also, why are you so defensive about this? We are being perfectly civil here and I already agreed with your edited post. The fact that you edited it should also be indicative of our overall agreement on the matter. You keep trying to alter the narrative of your original words. Your initial post coupled with your response to my counter-point led me to believe what I did. Your edited post would not have had this interpretation. Can we please drop this? I thought we had already come to an amicable resolution regarding this specific matter. If you wish to discuss more about this feature and how it can be improved, I am interested and will engage in good faith. 

Lol you remove "only" from my sentence and then say that's my word?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here. blaming me for things I haven't said is not the point of this thread.

I'm not offensive at all, not even one bit. replying to comments is normal. I'm not sure what you are even talking about.

@HotCakeX I did not remove it. I accidentally omitted it. It still does not change anything though. They were all your exact words. It actually strengthens my own interpretation as it emphasizes your original "redundant" comment. So, thank you, I guess.

I am not blaming you for anything. The notion is ridiculous as this is not that important. Moreover, there is nothing to blame anyone for in this matter. You used the words you used. You edited the original post after the fact. Given that I do not have access to your original words, I can't exactly quote them conclusively, but the facts remain nonetheless and your assertion to the contrary will not change any of that.

I never called you offensive. I used "defensive". No one would consider anything here offensive in the slightest, at least not in the popular context it is used in. 

Okay, so what now?

@HotCakeX Nothing. Have a great day/night. 

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

FIXED in Edge Version 81.0.395.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Thank you Edge developers.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

FIXED in Edge Version 81.0.395.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Thank you Edge developers.

View solution in original post