SOLVED

[FIXED] Legacy Edge extensions on Windows store after installing the new Edge

MVP

Today I came across this extension when browsing Windows store

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P59WXTBHZZM

I could install it without any issue but the thing is it doesn't work when I have the Stable version of Chromium based Edge installed. clicking "launch" opens the new Edge only, nothing else happens.

fdf.png

fd.png

I think the proper way to handle this situation is to either hide these extensions from Windows store once the new Edge is installed, OR show a message to user that: "it's not compatible with the current installed version of Edge browser".

My suggestion is to add the new Chromium based Add-ons to the Windows store to be easily available and installed by users.

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/

8 Replies

Hi,

I guess according to me the right step would be to remove the legacy store because they have a separate page for the extensions. Plus with the new Edge being cross platform, hosting the extensions on a Web page makes more sense now.

Hi,
that's true but for the 1 Billion people that use Windows 10 and their number is always increasing, Windows store is a great place to host the extensions.
Edge is cross platform, correct, but on the desktop only mac and Windows have access to it.

True, but it is upto the team. It is only possible after they integrate it with OS, probably with the shipping of version 2004 update. 

@Rohit Yadav 

Spoiler

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

True, but it is upto the team. It is only possible after they integrate it with OS, probably with the shipping of version 2004 update. 

I don't think so. Windows store can receive updates on its own, Windows update can take care of the rest.

That can be done, but only after Edge is deployed to all PCs through Windows Update. Otherwise the users of Legacy Edge won't be able to install the extensions....

@Rohit Yadav 

Spoiler

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

That can be done, but only after Edge is deployed to all PCs through Windows Update. Otherwise the users of Legacy Edge won't be able to install the extensions....

Like I said in my post:

"I think the proper way to handle this situation is to either hide these extensions from Windows store once the new Edge is installed, OR show a message to user that: "it's not compatible with the current installed version of Edge browser"."

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Thank you Microsoft for the swift response to the feedback

All the changes are now applied to Windows store app and Windows store website.

dasdsa.png

fdsf.png

fdsfsd.png

@Rohit Yadavcongratz, they did this and now you cant get adblock for legacy edge webapps

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Thank you Microsoft for the swift response to the feedback

All the changes are now applied to Windows store app and Windows store website.

dasdsa.png

fdsf.png

fdsfsd.png

View solution in original post