[Fixed] Edge Canary Shows "Downloads are managed by your organization"

Deleted
Not applicable

UPDATE 2 (July 17, 2019): This bug has been fixed in Canary version 77.0.221.0.

UPDATE 1: As it appears, this bug is caused when you click on the toggle "Ask where to save each file before downloading". 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using Edge Canary version 77.0.201.0 on Windows 10 v.1903 (OS Build 18362.175) and have been noticing that in the Downloads page, it shows a banner on top: "Downloads are managed by your organization" even though I use a personal Microsoft account only (someone@outlook.com). Also, I don't have any organisational account added to Windows either.

Here's what it looks like:Downloads bug.png

However, elsewhere, it doesn't show anything related to organisation, like how this article describes the same for Google Chrome.

Moreover, when I visit edge://policy, it says "No policies set":Edge Policy.png

15 Replies

@Deleted, this certainly looks like a bug.  I have contacted the owner of this area to see if they are aware of this issue, and what kind of logs they might need to investigate.

Thanks @Elliot Kirk for your help! I really appreciate it.

@Deleted ,

If you close your Downloads tab, open a new tab, and navigate to about:downloads, do you still see that banner on top? 

Did you at some point have any policies set through Windows' Local Group Policy Editor?

Thanks!

@i-am-kent,

If you close your Downloads tab, open a new tab, and navigate to about:downloads, do you still see that banner on top? 

Yes, I still see it there. Moreover, it appears even after I restart my PC.

Did you at some point have any policies set through Windows' Local Group Policy Editor?

No, I haven't set any policies thus far. 

@Deleted Thanks for the information! We have filed a bug to look into this. If you could create a ticket via https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com, it could help us more easily reach out to you if we have any questions!

Thanks!

@i-am-kent, Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

As you requested, I have successfully raised a ticket, whose number I have sent you on message. Additionally, I have also sent the report through the smiley face.

@Deleted 

I will keep you updated on here and your ticket. 

If later on it becomes easier to communicate just through here we can do that also.

Thanks,

Frank

@Deleted 

I'm Happy the issue is fixed for you now by reinstalling the latest build.

Thanks for your patience with the issue,

Frank

@Deleted as an update, we have been able to reproduce this problem. We believe that when users enable "Ask where to save each file before downloading", the banner will show. This is a bug and the development team has been notified of this. A temporary workaround will be to disable this option if the banner is disruptive to you.

@i-am-kent You're actually right—after the re-installation, I didn't turn on the option "Ask where to save each file before downloading", that is why I was not seeing it. But, after I toggled it, the banner got back again. Thanks a lot again for acknowledging the report!

@i-am-kent I want to update you that this bug still exists as of Edge (Canary) version 77.0.218.0.

Thanks for following up, @Deleted ! 

The downloads team has been working hard trying to get ClickOnce to work, so we have not had a chance to bugfix this, but please stay tuned!

Please continue to follow up if you still keep seeing this as a problem after a while!

@Deleted this bug should now be fixed in latest Canary. If you still see this after installing latest Canary (77.0.221.0), please feel free to let us know!

Thanks for your patience here!

@i-am-kent Yes, I don't see this bug anymore in Canary version 77.0.221.0. Thanks a lot!