SOLVED

[Fixed] Edge Canary Automatically Closing - Version 80.0.316.0

MVP

Update 2:

users report that the issue is back in Version 80.0.331.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit) Fixed the issue, which was originating from Sync options.

I just updated my Edge insider Canary to Version 80.0.316.0

and it keeps automatically closing itself after every 2-3 minutes. I have about 4 tabs open and mostly this Microsoft tech community 

51 Replies
Ya'll need some gaming mice for these occasions :p

@HotCakeX this is why I'm no good on FPS games.  ;)

@HotCakeX Happens on Mac (Catalina) as well.

@chriscata if you can't get into InPrivate mode, you can also resolve it by disabling wifi and then launching edge and disabling sync.  That works for me.

They pulled .316 build from the servers, so if any of you still have problem, you can try uninstalling your Canary and reinstall it again, you will be back to build .315

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

Also there is another crash happens when you right-click the back button, and is still in the build even after you reinstall it, so please try to avoid doing that for now
This worked, thanks!
Please use one if these as a workaround :)

1. Turn off browser sync: edge://settings/profiles/sync
2. Uninstall (+remove user data) and Reinstall a new Edge insider canary: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/
I have the same issue. Closing after 4-5 seconds.
Before I came here to see solutions, I did the following:
Go to:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\80.0.316.0\Installer, and launched setup.exe. After silent installation, I got new Icon. Microsoft Edge, without suffix Canary or anything else. I got greeting "welcome to beta" but opened URL contained /stable.
It was the same 80.0.316., but in "about" window, it said "official version" without Canary. Behaved like stable... But, autoupdator reported error code 7...
After I read your solutions, I just turned off my ethernet connection and disabled sync. Not needed to log off. Now everything working fine. Until next update. Finally, I uninstalled this fake stable build.
Quite an experience! thanks for sharing :)
Oh and yeah one of the solutions is only turning off Sync, not logging out/off completely.

@HotCakeX #1 solution finally worked after about 2 dozen tries and being quick. 

Good to know :)
Fixed in Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
I'm still experiencing the same automatic closing in 80.0.317.1 but only on my laptop (DELL), not only Surface Pro. It takes something like 1-3 minutes before it closes, even when just sitting in the background without extensions installed and without any tab loaded.
Still not fixed for me. Could it be interference with Edge Chromium Beta (replacement of the old MS Edge) which ist installed and accesses the same sync'ed data?
Hello benpal! I checked the 80.0.317.1 build with Microsoft account and Work account with all sync. The extension loaded its same and not crashed. Please send the offical feedback with included the diagnostic data.

@benpal 

@benpal wrote:
Still not fixed for me. Could it be interference with Edge Chromium Beta (replacement of the old MS Edge) which ist installed and accesses the same sync'ed data?

Hi,

Yes it's possible, if you can, remove both of them and during each of their uninstall process, make sure to choose "delete all user data" when asked, it comes as a checkbox.

after that, restart your computer and download Edge canary again and see if the problem still persists.

@benpal 

@benpal wrote:
I'm still experiencing the same automatic closing in 80.0.317.1 but only on my laptop (DELL), not only Surface Pro. It takes something like 1-3 minutes before it closes, even when just sitting in the background without extensions installed and without any tab loaded.

what is your laptop's and Surface pro's OS and Version?

Both are on the same build of Windows 10 Pro Insider Fast. The issue is definitely linked to the sync function. When Sync is off, it doesn't crash.
Hi, I have tried that several times, except that Edge Beta cannot be deleted because it is the MS Edge replacement. Uninstall is grayed out.
If I knew where the sync'ed data is located I could try to delete it manually.
Otherwise I'll just wait for one of the next builds.
In the meantime I have sent a feedback with the log files.

Thanks for your help.