SOLVED

[Fixed] Edge Canary Automatically Closing - Version 80.0.316.0

MVP

Update 2:

users report that the issue is back in Version 80.0.331.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit) Fixed the issue, which was originating from Sync options.

I just updated my Edge insider Canary to Version 80.0.316.0

and it keeps automatically closing itself after every 2-3 minutes. I have about 4 tabs open and mostly this Microsoft tech community 

51 Replies

@benpal 

@benpal wrote:
Both are on the same build of Windows 10 Pro Insider Fast. The issue is definitely linked to the sync function. When Sync is off, it doesn't crash.

Well it seems odd because no one else is reporting that the crashes still persist, otherwise we would be seeing the forum flooded with "edge crashing" posts. I think there is an issue on your end that needs fixing by your hands.

the latest version is 80.0.318 now and everyday a new update is released.

my main PC has the same insider fast ring as you, now on build 19013 and my laptop has build stable 1903, both of them stopped crashing after the update.

@benpal 

@benpal wrote:
Hi, I have tried that several times, except that Edge Beta cannot be deleted because it is the MS Edge replacement. Uninstall is grayed out.
If I knew where the sync'ed data is located I could try to delete it manually.
Otherwise I'll just wait for one of the next builds.
In the meantime I have sent a feedback with the log files.

Thanks for your help.

Edge insider Beta Can be uninstalled. 

Oh wait a minute, have you installed that so called stable build? because the symptoms you're referring to are the side effects of that particular build of Edge insider.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Facts-about-Edge-Stable-version-Link-And-what-we-...

Yes it's odd. because on Surface Pro I also have Edge Beta and Canary side by side and I never had this issue.
Anyway, I'll wait for the next Canary builds and alternatively just work with Edge Beta,
Thanks anyway, I appreciate your efforts.
Yep, exactly, spot on! Thanks for that hint.
I'll wait and see ...
Regards
You are welcome!
Well if you're happy with it then sure no problem :)

(replying using my other profile): Still not fixed in Version 80.0.331.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
However, just got to be quick, try this:
Open Edge CAN and quickly paste edge://settings/profiles/sync in the address bar, then turn OFF sync.

I like Sync, but until its fixed, its off for now.

[UPDATE]: Removed Profile, re-added, turned sync back on, and doesn't crash anymore.  

That's great you figured it out,
for me it is still fixed so I didn't have to turn off the sync, thanks for letting me know though

@HotCakeXIssue is back! :D 80.0.0.331.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Oh well I changed the title to [not fixed] :)

@Pr0x1 Same thing happened again in v80.0.360... same solution, turn off sync

@HotCakeX 

Of minor importance, but out of curiosity: What's the difference between Canary and Beta in terms of sync'ing? Edge Beta seemingly doesn't have this problem. 

Beta must be using different sync servers, ones that are more stable and away from the latest experiments hapenning to dev and canary