Finally here! the Real Full Screen Experience in Edge insider Browser

MVP

Now if you go to full screen mode, by either pressing F11 on keyboard or this button

Annotation 2019-11-15 224715.png

you will see the tabs and address bar in a drop down fashion, just like in Edge classic.

to do that, first you have to be on the latest version of Edge insider Canary which is Version 80.0.335.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

then you have to go to: edge://flags/

and enable this flag

Annotation 2019-11-15 224019.png

Enable Fullscreen Dropdown

Drops down browser frame during browser fullscreen. – Windows

#edge-enable-shy-ui

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

That's it. it was requested multiple times on the forum and I was looking for this functionality as well.

Google chrome (even the latest canary version) still doesn't have this useful functionality.

33 Replies

This feature still doesn't work on touch screens like it's supposed to do. In Classic Edge, swiping down from the upper edge will reveal the tabs and address bar. Swiping in the lower edge will reveal the taskbar. That is not the case with the new Edge.

Thanks, I couldn't test it on touch screens :)

Also, I just discovered that with this flag enabled, once you exit full screen (like watching a YouTube video in fullscreen), a black area will appear and hide the whole upper area of the window.  

Does this happen in your end as well? @HotCakeX

@HotCakeX I appreciate the update, and this is a nice addition for desktop users, but this isn't what I requested. I asked for better touchscreen support for fullscreen mode. The browser still instructs me to "Press F11 to exit fullscreen mode" even when there's no keyboard attached. And the nice UI overlay you added doesn't appear on a touchscreen; there's no way to trigger it.

This is a good start, but you need to add a few more things. Please make it so swiping down from the top brings the app UI back down - just like what you have hovering the mouse at the top of the screen doing. If you think of the app UI as a physical object moving up above the screen the gesture should pull it back down again. Old Edge does this today, just give it a shot with a Surface and see. Just copy exactly what it does.

And please make sure by release it doesn't say "Press F11 to exit fullscreen" when the keyboard is detached. That's the worst part and is the kind of thing that people poke at Microsoft for. I still have no idea how to exit fullscreen mode without a keyboard. And this update seems to have made it worse by getting rid of the little circle-X that used to appear on (I think) long press near the top of the screen. Instead, it now pops up a context menu and you have to tap a menu item that says "Press F11 to exit fullscreen." That is definitely not how it should work.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know. "Little" stuff like this is really important. It Edge doesn't work well on Surfaces that's going to look bad. Its the kind of thing that gets bad press. If I can do a screen sharing session or make you a video or mockups or whatever I can do to help get this working as well as every other browser on tablets I will volunteer any time I can. 

Yes unfortunately it's not working well on touch devices but at least it's a start, as a flag, it's experimental and more features will be added to it in next updates. for now we can test it and report the problems that we find :)

@HotCakeX Wow. I guess people don't know how to say thank you.

Thank you. Thank you for implementing this feature and for working on this so fast. Maybe others don't remember how long it took for this feature to be implemented in classic edge. 

True, we should be thanking Edge developers team (I'm not one of them)
You sir, have all my respect, love, and gratitude for making this post helping folks like myself (in the minority probably) change our workflows.

Will wait for better touch support but even now, I'm waaay too happy to explain. Ditched Chrome today and started Edge. Fullscreens mode on my XPS 13 makes a significant difference and every website seems more beautiful, clean, and robust.

@awaisfarooqroy 

@awaisfarooqroy wrote:
You sir, have all my respect, love, and gratitude for making this post helping folks like myself (in the minority probably) change our workflows.

Will wait for better touch support but even now, I'm waaay too happy to explain. Ditched Chrome today and started Edge. Fullscreens mode on my XPS 13 makes a significant difference and every website seems more beautiful, clean, and robust.

You're welcome, glad you're enjoying it, I also love this new feature :)

@Faris-Jayyousi wrote:

Also, I just discovered that with this flag enabled, once you exit full screen (like watching a YouTube video in fullscreen), a black area will appear and hide the whole upper area of the window.  

Does this happen in your end as well? @HotCakeX

Update, the problem appeared again. I can swear it was gona the other day but today i went to BBC, played a video on fullscreen and after going back to normal mode, there was the black bar at the top again. then I went to YouTube and same thing happened.

so i guess it applies to all websites and fullscreen videos..

solution to get rid of the black bar that is covering the address bar and tabs: press F11 2 or 3 times.

Yep, seems to be fixed @HotCakeX 

Thanks for notifying me :)

@HotCakeX Just want to add I have the same bug when I exit fullscreen.

Also, on a touchscreen device it's difficult exiting the fullacreen mode without the keyboard command.

Hope the developer team will notice that, I already sent a feedback through the browser but I couldn't attach this screenshot.

clipboard_image_0.png

@FedeDiLo 

I usually use this way to add custom screenshots to my feedbacks

1.png

2.png

It's not working for me after updating Canary to version 80.0.361.0 today.