Bronze Contributor

Currently we could add multiple search providers in Microsoft Edge but set one of them as default.

So let say if I have Bing, Google, Yahoo and set Bing as my default , when I enter a word or sentence in address bar it will search with default search engine for example if I write down new features in windows 10 in address bar, it will search this with Bing.

However, I suggest to have ability to search with multiple search engine in address bar with the default one as primary and it works like one of following ways:

1) List down multiple search engines:

For example, I type Microsoft and in address bar and it show the following

Search Microsoft with Bing

Search Microsoft with Google

Search Microsoft with Yahoo

www.Microsoft.com

support.Microsoft.com

….

As you see it list down ability to search with different search engines and also show history, suggestion and other URL.

2) only show one search provider but could switch with special key (e.g. tab) and special icon like switch icon.

for example

Search Microsoft with Bing

www.Microsoft.com

support.Microsoft.com

Then special icon near "Search Microsoft with Bing" click on that shows search with Google, Yahoo.

Adding such option, would required new ability in setting to enable or disable this feature and also add and remove specific search engine.

6 Replies

So in a nutshell, add the search feature in Firefox to Edge.

fdsfds.png

@Reza_Ameri-Archived You can already do a search for a phrase using different search providers from the Omnibox.

Let's say I want to search 'Microsoft' with Bing, I type bing.com, press tab, and put my search phrase 'Microsoft'.

image.png

Similarly, I can do the same with Google, I type google.com & press tab. I don't have to type it full until it is suggested.

image.png

I can do the same for Yahoo, Duck Duck Go & other Search providers too. 

@Rohit Yadav 

Yes of course that's pretty handy too

Actually this feature is available in Internet Explorer and similar has been in previous version of Internet Explorer with different style (when search and address bar has been separated).

Thank you for reminding of this.
This is good feature but it is not easy for tablet devices since pressing tab key on tablet is not easy and there is no UI for mouse interaction. What I suggest would give ability to switch using mouse and touch too.

In addition, it is not very user friendly , most people won't know about it and they have to search and learn it. For these reasons, I recommend one more to list all searches and another mode to switch with button on the address bar.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:
Actually this feature is available in Internet Explorer and similar has been in previous version of Internet Explorer with different style (when search and address bar has been separated).

Thank you for reminding of this.

You're welcome