[Feature Suggestion] Show update history in Edge

MVP

fdsfds.png

Please show the update history in edge://settings/help

lots of spaces left there, it helps to keep track of installed updates on the local machine.

only show update history after Edge is installed on the system, not from the beginning of the time.

Firefox has this and it's very helpful, specially for insider channel.

I only want to see the time and the version number of previously installed updates on my system.

you can add a scroll bar to the right side to scroll down/up when the history rows are too many to fit that area.

Like this:

fgdsfsfs.png

8 Replies

@HotCakeX Thanks for the unique suggestion! Can you tell us a bit more about specifically how having an update history would be helpful?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi, thank you,

update history on Edge helps to know when a specific Edge update was installed on my system, I like to know when an update was installed, specially when my computer is being used by someone else.
I also like to know when I first installed Edge on a system, which version it was exactly and how many updates it's received so far.

the info is also helpful when the browser is behaving different after I have installed an update. or when a regression happens in Edge.

@HotCakeX Thanks for the details, I've looped the Settings Team in!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi @HotCakeX, out of curiosity, who is the "someone else" you have in mind for this and why is that piece important? Is this a shared family device type of scenario? Or are you more thinking an administrator pushing an update? 

"... when an update was installed, specially when my computer is being used by someone else"

@IrinaL 

@IrinaL wrote:

Hi @HotCakeX, out of curiosity, who is the "someone else" you have in mind for this and why is that piece important? Is this a shared family device type of scenario? Or are you more thinking an administrator pushing an update? 

"... when an update was installed, specially when my computer is being used by someone else"

Hi, yes exactly, we have couple of computers/laptops and I usually have a separate user account (non-admin) on my PC for someone else that wants to use my PC.

i can also use it to keep track of computers on a network that I manage.

also, I have Edge stable installed but I mostly use canary, some times I open Edge stable and I notice its version is changed but I don't know when it was updated and from which version. the update history will definitely help me keep track of it and understand what's going on in my computer.

thanks

@Deleted - I think this is a good suggestion, so I'll add something here. Such an update history would be a nice thing for several reasons and all of them are rather not too exciting but interesting to power users. It's a nice thing to see when and which update was installed - not only for informational purposes, but it also can give some insight as to when something was broken, when it was fixed, or a feature introduced and stuff like that. I also like the "details" link on the OP screenshot. This could be a link to a specific thread (or any other place that would be good to post such info) with a more or less detailed changelog.

As I said - for me, it is not an important feature, but a nice one to have. That page in the settings could be some sort of a central community hub, with links to support forum, this forum (maybe only in beta/dev/canary versions), announcements from the team, links to blogs, etc.

@HotCakeX It's indeed an important feature, I saw there's an issue with my web app to render the UI in other browsers, but it was working fine here in edge. After couple of days, I saw the same issue with edge, having an update history would have helped me/ anyone to narrow down such debugging activities.
The main thing for me is analyzing behaviour changes and this includes regressions sometimes. Edge is constantly updating and the behaviour constantly changing, i.e. consider 2 recent unrequested changes to my browser - vertical tabs enabled, and my collections filled with "interests" (which were really just adverts). When this behavior changes I want to see that its a new version of Edge that has forced this on me, not a setting that something has changed. So having a list of versions with the date of install would be very helpful. The biggest regression this would help with is when edge slows down, there were a few cases of this over the years, and they were caused by a new version, so when I notice a performance drop I normally check my internet speed, and then also check the version of edge to see if its changed.